This is a screenshot of casanueva.com late in the afternoon on Oct. 14, 2015.

Casa Nueva’s website 'compromised' by self-proclaimed 'electronic resistance' group

Casa Nueva was hacked Wednesday afternoon by a group claiming to declare “Cyper War” (sic) on the site.

Casa Nueva Restaurant and Cantina’s website was “compromised” Wednesday afternoon, according to a Tweet posted by the company.

As of 5:15 p.m., the website’s homepage displayed a black background and claimed to be hacked by a group called “X-Sec Team” who claimed to be an “electronic resistance” group, according to the hacked page.

“We are here to declare ‘Cyper War’ (sic) on making money through blood, those who use their power making the poor people only more poor, those who seek money and power and nothing else,” a message on the site’s message board read.

The page also displayed an explicit and graphic video highlighting recent events in the middle east and claiming the U.S. government is lying to its citizens.

They also claimed the restaurant's website security “sucks.”

According to the group’s Facebook page, they hacked 39 other sites today.

Casa Nueva Marketing Coordinator Grace Corbin said "our website's defunct anyway."

Corbin added that the restaurant's management wasn't aware of the hack until receiving a call from the Athens County Visitor's Bureau.

"(We're) not that worried about it," Corbin said, adding that the company was already on track to getting a new website in the next two weeks. "It's not that big of a deal that our old website got hacked."

Corbin had not yet seen the video.

The Athens Police Department and the Ohio University Police said at about 5:20 p.m. they were unaware of the hack. 

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu

@Paigey5000

pc518214@ohio.edu