Editorial

Editorial: Activism series highlights past and present dissent at Ohio University

Ohio University students have never been shy about speaking out against what they consider injustices.

Today marks the first in a four-day series that The Post will be running through Friday on campus activism and its history at Ohio University.

Whether that student activism has centered on rising student debt, campus sexual assault or anything else, we think it’s almost always a topic worth covering on our part.

The OU student body, as many know, has a rich history of such progressive work. Today’s story explores that, specifically the student uprisings that took place in the late 1960s and early 1970s during the height of the Vietnam War. For those uprisings, The Post was there, too. As it turns out, we’ve been covering campus activism for a while.

It’s not completely unfair to draw parallels between the activists of yesteryear and those on campus today. Both sets were driven by their passion to be heard and their willingness to speak on behalf of the body they represented — whether that be employees that were handed unfair treatment, those that were drafted into a war they didn’t support or survivors of sexual violence. Those topics will all be touched on this week.

OU wouldn’t exist without its students. Those student voices deserve to be seriously consulted whenever the school charts a course into the future.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="bdcd0d64-7047-11e5-8d56-f399f900988f"}}

Activism has long defined dialogue on campus and will continue to do so. Our reporting aims to look back at what that work has accomplished and where current student dissidents aim to steer the conversation in the future.

Be sure to check back each day on our website or on our newsstands for our continued coverage.

For print:

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors and are independent of the publication’s news coverage.

For web:

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors: Editor-in-Chief Emma Ockerman, Managing Editor Rebekah Barnes, Opinion Editor Will Gibbs and Digital Managing Editor Samuel Howard. Post editorials are independent of the publication's news coverage.