Ohio running back, Papi White, hurdles a defender in Ohio's game against Akron. Ohio won, 14-12.

Football: Ohio tight end Keith Heitzman brings tough blocking, precision to Akron

Tight end Keith Heitzman has brought solid blocking and catching since joining the Bobcats this fall. 

AKRON — Keith Heitzman caught a 24-yard pass from Derrius Vick on the right side of the field and simply jogged his way into the endzone against Akron. There wasn't a defender within five yards of him.

As Ohio’s tight end this season, Heitzman aids the Bobcats’ offense through sheer blocking — he is 6-foot-4, 255 pounds after all — and catches passes with relative ease. His touchdown pass was a difference maker in Ohio's 14-12 win Saturday. 

Vick said Heitzman looks like "the savior of our team."

"He's coming along really well," coach Frank Solich said. "He's been a tremendous asset to what were all about offensively. He's a great run blocker and he's turned into a really god receiver also." 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2afb89c6-6ace-11e5-933b-d78689fcd018"}}

Heitzman has made an immediate impact on Ohio's offense and Saturday's catch was just another example of what the Michigan transfer has brought to coordinator Tim Albin's offense. 

"He is been with us for six months and he might be one of the smartest kids I know to be able to pick up the offense," Vick said. 

Vick added Heitzman might be one of Ohio's best blockers this season, as Heitzman's blocking ability shouldn't be overshadowed by his receiving repertoire. 

"The goal is to be a dual threat," Heitzman said after catching three catches for 76 yards against Southerneastern Louisiana earlier in the year. "I’ve been working hard at it."

Heitzman replaced Troy Mangen after Mangen's 2015 season was cut short due to an ACL tear in summer camp. Mangen caught 19 passes for 147 yards last season, as Heitzman has almost equated that in five games with Ohio.

"(Heitzman) maybe a little bit quicker," Vick said. "So in terms of match up wise, you put a backer on him and its a mismatch every time."

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu