Haadiza Ogwude

Fresh, Fit and Full of Life: Inexpensive makeup can help users achieve the same look as high end products

Columnist Haadiza Ogwude debunks negative assumptions about drugstore makeup.

One of the biggest debates for girls is whether or not to buy drugstore makeup or designer/department store makeup. In order to achieve the same flawless look as models and celebrities, Hollywood tells us that we must purchase expensive cosmetic brands, such as MAC, Laura Mercier, NARS, Clinique, etc. We can’t just buy a product or two either; we must buy everything from foundation to eyeliner, mascara to concealer, eye shadow to lipstick, primer to blush and the list goes on. All these items can easily add up to a few hundred dollars, if not more. Not to mention you must buy brushes and applicators as well.

I, however, am a big advocator for drugstore makeup. I know most people cringe when I say that, but the reality is that many high-end makeup brands were made in the same laboratories as drugstore makeup. For many products, the formula is exactly the same. The difference primarily lies in the packaging.

I think that it is classist to think that makeup can and should only be done using expensive products that hardly differ from that of cheaper brands. Not everyone can, or wants to, drop hundreds of dollars on makeup that will need to be replaced in a few months because the formula is drying out and is accumulating bacteria. The key to makeup lies in the skill, not the product.

Of course not every drugstore brand is good or right for you, but neither is every designer brand. It is important to test the waters of makeup and see which ones work best for you. For certain products, such as foundations and certain lipsticks, designer brands can be better. Some expensive brands can better fit your complexion, or have certain ingredients to help fight acne, dry skin, etc. Go ahead and splurge if you can, but I still stand by drugstore foundation. There are many foundations sold at CVS and Walgreens that have a variety of skin tones and formulas for different skin types. Lipsticks can also be tricky in that the pigmentation of expensive brands can be more vibrant and voluptuous than drugstore brands. But that’s why dupes were created. I recommend finding the name of the expensive lipstick you desire and searching Google for a drugstore dupe. You’ll be surprised that the difference is often times unnoticeable.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="0f0758c2-737e-11e5-8c2e-b7ef40ab02f4"}}

For products like mascara, eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush etc., it's irrelevant where you buy it from. Mascara and eyeliner from drugstores have exactly the same formulas as designer brands. The shelf life is also only three months, which is the same for that of designer brands. Again, the key to achieving a high-end look lies in the technique and skill. Eye shadow and blush have a shelf life of about a year. Many powder-based products have the same ingredients; you really don’t need to splurge on pricey designer brands. Even if the pigment isn’t as strong in a drugstore brand, powder products are buildable, which means you can layer it to get the right amount of color.

In the end, it’s all about what is right for you. If you believe that expensive products are more suitable for you and the look you desire, then by all means, get those products. However, just because the products are more expensive does not make it superior to drugstore makeup. Ultimately, comparing ingredients and doing research is a great way to find the best and most affordable products for you.

Haadiza Ogwude is a sophomore studying journalism. Where do you like to buy makeup? Tweet Haadiza @AdoreHaadiza or email her at ho299413@ohio.edu.