Bri Shaniuk

Histories of hOUme: Court Street home to bloody battle in early 1900s

The popular hangout spot for Ohio University students was once the scene of a gruesome military scuffle.

Ask any Ohio University student what Court Street consists of and you will more than likely receive a great deal of congruent responses: stores, bars, restaurants —  both sit-down and fast food — coffee shops and a whole array of other eventful “hot spots” in Athens. Contrary to the lively brick boulevard that we know and love today, 111 years ago, Court Street was a war zone.

In August of 1904, a bloodstained confrontation between members of the U.S. Army and the U.S. National Guard took place, resulting in catastrophe.

That year, each of the units had been stationed in Athens for summer training exercises and had gotten into each other’s way quite a few times, causing the emergence of unwanted tension. It was not until one heated Friday night that the men involved let the built up tensions get the best of them.

The event that sparked the war occurred after multiple guardsmen, who had been acting as though they were military police, arrested an out-of-line Infantry Army Officer, Pvt. W. R. Ohl, who had been in a saloon in Athens that night. In an attempt to defy his arrest, Ohl began to empty his gun, to which the guardsmen responded by violently clubbing him until he was no longer able-bodied.

Wholeheartedly, the rest of the Army unit’s men marched the streets of Athens, and within seconds, abandoned all orders, broke ranks and began shooting at the national guardsmen.

That night, guardsman Corporal Charles Clark was killed, followed by the severe injuring of Sgt. William Blessing and three other Privates.

After a very thorough investigation, five army officers were charged with the inhumane and illegitimate killing of the guardsmen. Of those five, three were sentenced to serve time in jail.

In January of the following year, guardsman John Lott was found guilty of clubbing PVT Ohl to death, was charged with committing acts of violence with the intention to kill and was given a good conduct discharge. All other soldiers involved were given honorable discharges.

Though Court Street is now a popular hangout place for OU students and visitors alike, it has not always been that way. Despite all of the horror stories that float around Athens, this tragic event of bloodshed is historically known to be one of the most violent cases of chaos to ever take place on the streets of our hOUme.

Bri Shaniuk is a freshman studying journalism. Did you already know about this piece of Court Street history? Email her at bs714714@ohio.edu.