I Am That Girl becomes a part of Ohio University

I Am That Girl, a discussion based feminist group, is slated to join campus organizations in November.

Ohio University’s newest student organization plans to empower women both on and off campus.

Kalee Nielsen, a sophomore studying moderate to intensive educational needs, decided to bring I Am That Girl, a national organization about improving women’s self-esteem, to OU last year and is preparing for the group’s inaugural meeting in November.

“I Am That Girl is going to be a discussion based group, where we talk about problems that women face and how we can break past those controversial topics,” Nielsen said. “This group is going to talk about things that really matter to women.”

Nielsen said she enlisted Tonga Cox, an academic skills instructor in the Academic Advancement Center, as the group’s adviser, and the two have worked together during the past year along with the national organization to create the group.

Nielsen and Cox met last fall, when Cox taught one of Nielsen’s classes, Cox said.

“Kalee wanted to effect change and alter the mindset of women on campus," Cox said. "I was more than happy to help her do that.” 

Nielsen said she created the project last year while researching The Butterfly Project, which focuses on raising awareness for human trafficking, for her English class. 

Nielsen said it was the fundamental ideals of The Butterfly Project that led her to start working on forming an I Am That Girl group.

“I wanted to find a way to incorporate the values of The Butterfly Project to Ohio University,” Nielson said. “That’s how I Am That Girl was born.”

Lilly Homan, a junior studying strategic communication, said the organization is important to her because “women’s rights is something we (women) are still fighting for.” 

Homan, a friend of Nielson, plans on joining the group.

Cox said women often need to “feel validated,” and I Am That Girl is a great way for women to engage in healthy conversation and ultimately feel empowered.

“We are planning to have some opportunities for community service, as I have found in my life that I am often at my best when given the opportunity to help others,” Cox said.

Nielsen said after she completes a training course from I Am That Girl headquarters, the organization will begin meeting at OU exactly one month later, beginning with a video call from a representative at headquarters.

Nielsen said I Am That Girl is a nonprofit organization, and the group will be fundraising for any money they need. She added that there will not be an executive board, as I Am That Girl does not believe in hierarchy.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c298f984-779f-11e5-a84c-1f8454847ed2"}}

Cox said she has an eleven year old daughter, who was her inspiration for getting involved with I Am That Girl.

“I’m looking for ways to better life for my daugher, and I Am That Girl was a great way to start,” Cox said.

@paigey5000

pc518214@ohio.edu