Governor John Kasich

Kasich lagging behind Trump and Carson in recent Ohio poll of presidential candidates

After taking an early lead in Ohio polls for the 2016 Presidential campaign, Ohio Gov. John Kasich is falling behind in the state.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich's star might be falling in the 2016 Presidential elections.

According to a poll released earlier this month by Quinnipiac University, Kasich has been lagging in the polls in his home state, falling to third in the race after Donald Trump and Dr. Ben Carson.

"With Trump zooming well past him in the Buckeye State and Kasich's numbers in Florida and Pennsylvania in low single digits, the Ohio governor's campaign is going in the wrong direction," Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll, said in a news release.

Brown said Kasich's popularity in Ohio was one of his primary advantages in the campaign, since the state is considered to be one of the most important swing states.

Trump is polling at 23 percent in the state. Carson is polling at 18 percent and Kasich is polling at 13 percent, according to the poll.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="489f6400-5cf2-11e5-8ef7-ab630e1ac5a0"}}

In June, Kasich was the highest polling Republican in the state.

A poll from that month found that if former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton were to go head to head with Kasich, Kasich would win 47 to 40.

"With Ohio being such a critically important state — no Republican has ever won the White House without carrying it — that gives Gov. Kasich a key talking point about why he should be the nominee," Brown said in June.

In the Democratic field, Clinton is leading the state at 40 percent. Vice President Joe Biden, who has yet to declare his candidacy, has 21 percent and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders has 19 percent, according to the poll.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu