Photo of the uptown parking garage taken while under construction. 

Parking options available for visitors during Halloween weekend

Parking is available toward the back of the Wal-Mart Parking lot, at the city parking garage, or at Athens County Fairgrounds. Bus routes will be altered due to the block party.

Tow trucks are going to be out "constantly" during the Athens Halloween Block Party weekend, Athens City Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, said 

Students and visitors flocking to Athens for Halloween weekend may find their cars towed if they don’t park in designated areas.

Papai, who is also the chair of the Athens City Council Transportation Committee, said visitors often rent out spaces at Athens Middle School, park at the Athens County Fairgrounds or park in private lots.

“It’s a mixed bag," Papai said.  

Visitors can park at the fairgrounds for $10 starting Friday at 11 a.m., according the Athens County Fair website. The lot will close at 12 p.m., Monday.

A shuttle will run from the fairgrounds to the Convocation Center and Buffalo Wild Wings on Union Street for $1 each way, according to an Ohio University news release. The shuttle runs from 5 p.m. to 3 a.m., Friday and from 3 p.m. to 3 a.m., Saturday.

Amanda Zuelke said parking at the fairgrounds is "ridiculous."

"I don't understand why they won't let guests park on campus," Zuelke, a sophomore studying pre-med, said. "They have all this parking space. They could charge money."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="96f6bc16-7cf0-11e5-968a-af6d9aa9b6a6"}}

Students may also park at the Wal-Mart parking lot, 929 E. State St., as long as they park toward the back of the lot, Wal-Mart spokesman Aaron Mullins said.

Visitors may also park at the Athens City Parking Garage on Washington Street, according to the OU news release. However, no guests will be allowed to park on university property.

“We will be issuing $150 citations for those parked in Ohio University parking lots without a valid parking permit,” OU spokeswoman Katie Quaranta said in an email. “However, we will tow if parked in a fire lane, parked in a disability space without a permit, parked on the grass, etc.”

According to the news release, temporary and time-restricted passes will not be valid, and students and faculty must clearly display a valid parking permit to avoid being ticketed.

Mary Dailey, general manager at Athens Public Transit, said public transportation isn’t doing anything different for Halloween other than changing some routes.

“You see, many of our routes go up Court Street, and due to the Block Party, they can’t," Dailey said. "We had to alter some of our routes.”

Dailey said the service expects a higher ridership for Halloween weekend and that people should expect delays.

bg272614@ohio.edu

@baileygallion