Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Man reports theft of cannon from farm in Athens

Over the weekend it was determined that a cannon was stolen from a barn in Athens County. Also, a man was found in possession of methamphetamine after being stopped while driving for expired registration.

On Friday it was reported that a cannon was missing from a barn on Fullview Heights Drive in Athens.

A male came into the Athens County Sheriff's Office on Friday afternoon to report that some items had been stolen from a barn at a rental property where a friend was living.

In addition to the cannon, he reported that a canoe and a few other unnamed objects were also missing. According to the sheriff's office report, the man last saw the items in fall 2014.

When he realized the items were missing he contacted the rental agency, Capstone Property Management, as well as several other individuals, but no one could account for the stolen property.

The canoe was eventually found when a prior resident admitted to taking the item when the barn was under construction. However, they were unaware of the location for the remaining items — including the cannon.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="37d37aa0-767c-11e5-bab4-7752e5f56220"}}

At about 3 a.m. Thursday, the Ohio University Police Department received a report of a possible assault occurring near University Terrace.

When officers arrived on the scene, they located one male and one female. Once the OUPD officers made contact with the two individuals it was determined that they were both under the influence of alcohol.

The female had a large amount of blood on her face and on her arms, according to the report. Also, the man's hands were bleeding and he had large abrasions and cuts on his body.

Subsequently the male was placed under arrest on charges of assault and disorderly conduct. The female was also cited for underage consumption and public intoxication.

Both subjects were scheduled to appear in court Monday.

On Sunday at about 11 p.m., a sheriff's deputy conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle with expired registration. It was also determined the owner of the vehicle had an active warrant for his arrest in Athens County.

During the course of the investigation it was discovered that the vehicle had fictitious plates and the driver of the vehicle had a suspended driver's license.

The driver was arrested and was cited for expired registration, fictitious tags and driving under suspension, according to the report.

Then, during a vehicle inventory procedure, deputies found a glass container holding a white powder along with a glass pipe.

The powder was field tested and was found to be methamphetamine. The powder and pipe will be sent away for testing and additional charges are pending.

@mcuds

mc835713@ohio.edu