(Left to right) Keith Wilbur, J. Patrick Campbell, N. Victor Goodman, President Roderick McDavis, Sandra J. Anderson, David A. Wolfort, Dave Scholl, Peggy Viehweger and Beth Quitslund begin the academics committee meeting to discuss the budget Oct. 16, 2014.

Trustees discuss future of The Ridges, facilities in committee meetings

The board discussed plans for The Ridges and the recommendations made in the Ridges Framework Plan, which included using the buildings for graduate housing and increasing the site’s community access.

The Ohio University Board of Trustees met Thursday in Walter Hall for its first meetings in Athens since March.

Trustees discussed several topics throughout the afternoon committee meetings, including the Ridges Framework Plan, other construction projects, updates within the College of Business and audits of university buildings.

Resources Committee: Future of The Ridges, construction projects discussed

The committee passed a resolution to approve and adopt the plan, which will go before the full board on Friday.

Board of Trustees Chair Sandra Anderson said she spoke with graduate students who expressed interest in plans for The Ridges.

“In this case, there may have been initially some concern that the university wouldn’t be open to some of the recommendations coming in,” Trustee Janetta King said.

However, King said she was encouraged by the amount of research and data put forth by The Ridges Master Plan Committee.

The committee passed the 5 percent Senate Challenge Plan resolution, meaning it will be recommended to the full board Friday. The resolution includes a plan to reduce students’ costs of earning a degree by 5 percent as part of a requirement by the Ohio Senate for OU and other state universities.

The university had to determine its priorities and the costs of its construction projects. Roof analysis of all 202 buildings on the Athens campus showed that 49 buildings require attention.

Anderson said Ellis Hall is the university’s top priority. Deborah Shaffer, senior associate vice president for finance and administration, said Ellis was considered top priority before the air conditioning problems that arose earlier in Fall Semester.

Trustees discussed the design for renovations of West 82 Food Court in Baker Center. Despite West 82 being a relatively new dining facility, the building still needs upgrades because of its heavy use, according to Culinary Services’ depreciation schedule.

Academics Committee: Trustees hear presentation on College of Business

Hugh Sherman, dean of the OU College of Business, spoke to the Academics Committee about the importance of student job placement after graduation.

Sherman said the college has been trying to increase the amount of placement responses they receive from graduates.

“This year we made every effort to get 100 percent (responses), and I’m happy to report we got 89 percent,” Sherman said, adding that students who already have jobs are more likely to respond.

Job placement for graduates in 2015 from the survey was 71 percent, Sherman said.

“If (a business strategy) doesn’t work, they have to be able to understand why it didn’t work and to make adjustments,” Sherman said. “In a sense they’re creating new knowledge. That has to be our focus with our students today.”

He also said internships are incredibly important for the success of business students at OU, adding that many students have success where OU alumni already are employed.

“It’s become a starting point that you must have an internship,” Sherman said. “We have to start talking to them as freshmen. … Our target now is we’re trying to place more students in meaningful internships in their sophomore year.”

To increase student success, Sherman said faculty involvement is critical. He said the College of Business works to provide students with career coaches and faculty advisors.

“We need people who take teaching very seriously and want to work with students and help them achieve,” he said. “We have to have our faculty engaged.”

Along with faculty, Sherman said alumni are essential to help coach students, connect them with relevant HR departments and recruit for their own companies.

Audit Committee: Several audits of facilities, colleges ongoing

Jeff Davis, the university’s chief audit executive, presented to the audit committee Thursday afternoon.

“Our university is in great financial health," OU President Roderick McDavis said. "Kudos to our finance team for bring us to the top."

Multiple audit plans are in process throughout campus including audits concerning the College of Fine Arts, Russ College of Engineering and Technology and Culinary Services.

Davis gave an update on auditing for construction projects. He said the final audit of Phase One Housing, which includes the new South Green dorms, is scheduled for October and November 2015.

In addition, McCracken Hall’s construction audit has been approved and is underway.

Davis also said the university must complete an external assessment at least once every five years and the last external assessment was completed in 2011.

In August, the Ohio Board of Regents completed its annual review and no financial aid issues were found.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="76cd90ac-735b-11e5-8c0a-2331e5021c3f"}}

“That's amazing … that’s impressive,” Trustee Dave Scholl said in response to hearing there were no errors.

Governance Committee: Trustees discuss future meeting location

Most of the Governance Committee meeting took place in executive session for McDavis to suggest his recommendations for OU's national trustees, who are public officials.

Trustees said next year’s board meeting dates will be revisited at the next Board of Trustees meeting. The trustees discussed the discontent from faculty and staff about having meetings at OU’s Dublin Campus.

“I do feel like we should be considerate to the fact that (meeting in Dublin) is going to be a strain on faculty and staff,” Trustee Janelle Simmons said.

–Nora Jaara, Taylor Maple, Megan Henry, Kaitlin Fochesato and Alex Meyer contributed to this report.