Emma Ockerman

What the 'Post' editor-in-chief read last week: Week 8 at Ohio University

Post editor Emma Ockerman breaks down what she read last week 

It's Sunday, folks. That means you're supposed to be consuming some sort of warm beverage in the comfort of your own home, with your favorite quilt (or Snuggie), and enjoying a good article or book. If you're not doing that, you should be. It's Sunday. You're not obeying Sunday rules.

If all you're missing is the proper reading material, I've got you covered. The Post ran some articles worth your time, and I saw plenty of keepers across the internet last week. Here's five:

1. Post reporter Rachel Hartwick wrote an article about the Food and Drug Administration's guidelines for gay men wanting to donate blood, and described that "if a man has engaged in sexual relations with another man — even once — since 1977, the beginning of the AIDS epidemic in the United States, he is ineligible to donate blood for life."

2. Post reporter Taylor Maple profiled Ohio University's activists as a part of a four-day series on campus activism. Groups mentioned include Black Lives Action Coalition, F--kRapeCulture, OU Student Union and the Sierra Student Coalition. “Different forms of oppression exist in different ways although they all intersect with each other,” Ryan Powers, OU Student Union member, said. “The work these groups do is very important in educating the population about specific forms of oppression.”

3. TIME writes that the Emmett Till Unsolved Civil Rights Crime Act is nearing its 2017 expiration date. That act, signed by President George W. Bush seven years ago, "requires the U.S. Attorney General to appoint a team to investigate and prosecute unresolved civil rights murders that occurred before 1970," TIME writes. The Emmett Till Unsolved Civil Rights Crime Act has only resulted in one successful state prosecution so far.

4. The Hill profiled the mayor of Braddock, Pennsylvania, who is currently running for a heavily-contested U.S. Senate seat without nearly the same level of cash as his competitors. John Fetterman, who won his mayoral position by just one vote, has a master's degree from Harvard and a tattoo on his right arm that lists the killings of constituents while he's been in office. 

5. The Oregonian wrote about small-town Clatskanie and the allegations of racism and sextortion that have rocked it. This past summer, officers at the town's police department reported the police chief compared "African Americans to monkeys" and sang "the Confederate anthem 'Dixie' at the police department." The town's city council allowed the police chief to retire with pay. 

@eockerman

eo300813@ohio.edu