Emma Ockerman

What the 'Post' editor-in-chief read last week: Week 9 at Ohio University

It's Sunday, so 'Post' editor-in-chief Emma Ockerman is reminding you what you might've missed in your reading last week. 

Today is the most Sunday-ish of Sundays. It's a decent temperature, Athens is cloaked in lavish fall colors, and I have coffee. We're on a roll, guys. 

I'm a little bit guilty of not reading as much "journalism" as I should've last week. I'm currently operating off a goal of reading one book a week (it's working decently well), and I finished up So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson on Thursday. For those of us that have a decent amount of time and money to drop on a beautiful, hardcover book, it's a good read about social media shaming in an era where one can hardly avoid it.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b4ae1438-75c6-11e5-906e-c3849aa3a135"}}

Anyway, here are four articles I read this week that you should read right now:

1. This week's Post Modern delved into Ohio University's Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine's use of cadavers, and what that means to its medical students. In case you didn't know, a "cadaver" is the medical term for a deceased body that's donated to science and is intended to be dissected. Not always the prettiest picture to imagine, but according to one student, its when you "finally realize what you're actually doing." 

2. You know when someone comes up with a really cool, bank-rolling idea that you wish you'd thought of? Sometimes I have those moon-shooting moments where I think that I could've totally invented the Apple Watch if I just had a little more time. Anyway, that's what I was thinking when I read this article about Larry's Laundry, which is ran by a student named Randy. Larry's Laundry charges students for doing their laundry.

3. Many of us spent last week talking about the painfully awkward (yet intriguing) Hotline Bling music video. It was very Drake, to say the least. After my dozenth view, I was anxiously awaiting some think piece telling me why I liked it so much. Cue The New York Times article on both the genius and marketing strategy Drake spurred with Hotline BlingTo be fair, the article is also very New York Times. Here's a snippet: "Transparency has always been Drake’s bailiwick, but this approach to content creation takes it past a place of emotional vulnerability and into an advanced space where an artist induces people to create their own narratives: The star is at the center, but not in control."

4. If you're afraid of spiders, don't make a trip to the Main Street Bridge in Columbus anytime soon, writes The Columbus Dispatch. Why's that, you ask? There are an estimated 5,000 to 10,000 spiders calling that bridge home. That's a lot of spiders, and it's pretty darn spooky. 

@eockerman

eo300813@ohio.edu