Chudd Heyn, a freshman studying business and a member of Sigma Pi, competes in a hot dog eating contest against Heather Koontz, a junior and member of Alpha Delta Pi, during the Mr. University contest that took place at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium. 

Alpha Delta Pi hosts Mr. University Pageant

Jeremy Weinreich, a senior studying screenwriting, took home the tiara. Chudd Heyn, freshman studying business, won the popular vote.

Jeremy Weinreich’s victory at the Alpha Delta Pi Mr. University Pageant on Monday surprised everyone, even him.

“I just wanted to read a poem in front of a lot of people,” Weinreich, a senior studying screenwriting, said.

Eleven male Ohio University students — members of sorority and fraternity life or the Student Alumni Board — competed in the pageant. The men competed in three rounds, including a talent round, a swimwear round and a question and answer round where the students wore formal wear.

Four judges judged the contestants. At the judging table sat a board member of Ronald McDonald House Charities, a beauty pageant contestant who placed in the top 15 of the Miss Ohio pageant and Mike Carson, owner of The Shack.

Tickets to the event cost $5. All proceeds went to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio, ADPi president, Corina Rolko, said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="6caff0ca-8cd2-11e5-9b1f-ab8cd8a57aae"}}

At a table in front of the auditorium, attendants voted for candidates with pop tabs. The pop tabs would be donated to the Cleveland Ronald McDonald House, Rolko said, where they would fund the house’s electricity.

Chudd Heyn, a freshman studying business who placed second in the pageant, won the pop tab vote.

To the left of the pop tab jars, students attending the pageant wrote positive messages for the children at the Ronald McDonald House.

Rolko said this was the sorority's fourth time hosting the Mr. University pageant, and the first time it was held at Templeton-Blackburn Memorial Auditorium. The others were held in Baker Center, but the event grew too large.

“For the past two years, our sorority officers haven’t been able to find a place to sit,” Rolko said. “Our event has continued to grow every year.”

The contestants’ performances in the rounds ranged from sexy to silly to serious.

Some contestants in the swimwear round walked the stage in speedos, and senior Paul McMahon wore a collared shirt with a tropical pattern, khakis and boat shoes.

Weinreich came out in a woman’s red bathing suit and a shower cap with a towel wrapped around his waist.

During the talent round, Orhan Mentese took off a silky bathrobe behind a banner bearing his name, tore through it to reveal his tiny sequined shorts and performed a sexy dance.

Heyn ate hot dogs to the tune of “Who Let The Dogs Out” by Baha Men. At the beginning of his performance, someone in a hot dog costume carried a small, live dog onto the stage.

Wearing an American flag as a cape, Weinreich read a poem about how he hoped America would be in 10 years.

“There should be a restaurant that serves only pizza Lunchables,” Weinreich read.

After his win, Weinreich said he’d written the poem during class.

“I mean, I paid attention, too,” he said.

Jimmy Evans, a freshman studying communication, sung “Hello” by Adele. Attendants waved their phones in the air and cheered, sometimes drowning out Evans’ voice.

In the question and answer round, members of ADPi asked the contestants questions including, “What is your go-to Netflix-and-chill show?”

Madison said he would choose Rubber, a horror movie, because the goal of Netflix-and-chill is to “get to the next level.”

“What better way to do that than boring them to death with a movie about a killer tire?” Madison said.

In a more serious moment, ADPi members asked contestant Nate Shreve why he supported the Ronald McDonald House Charities.

Shreve answered that he was born premature, and that he understood why parents would appreciate an opportunity to live closer to the hospital in a Ronald McDonald House.

Colin McKinley, a freshman studying mechanical engineering, came to the event to support Heyn. He didn’t expect Jeremy to win, he said.

“Jeremy completely blindsided me,” Mckinley said. “I thought Chudd had it in the bag.”

Heyn said he was happy to win second.

“Jeremy was the right person to win,” Heyn said.

Some of the contestants helped out in each other’s performances. Another contestant appeared in George Poleondakis’ magic show dressed in a dress as “the beautiful Erica.”

“It wasn’t really much of a competition,” Heyn said. “We just wanted everyone to come out and have fun for a good cause.”

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu