Tanner Ingle

BedPost: How to handle hooking up at home over the holidays

Columnists Tanner Ingle and Abbey Peyton discuss how to hook up with your significant other during upcoming breaks.

TI: It’s getting to be that time of year again when everyone goes home for the holidays, and if you happened to acquire a significant other while you were away, then your partner just might be visiting home with you, as well. Once the turkey has been eaten and the leftovers have been wrapped, you might have a question on your mind … “How on earth am I gonna get it on under the same roof as my family?” Well, I think it depends on the circumstances.

If you and your guy or gal are sleeping over on a pullout bed in your folks’ living room due to relatives crashing on the other available beds, then you should probably consider abstinence for a couple days until you return to the comfort and privacy of your own room. Imagine the tragic embarrassment that would befall everyone if your dear old grandma wakes up for a glass of water after Thanksgiving dinner and hears or sees her grandchild bumping uglies in the den.

Now, if you have your old room to yourself, then you can feel more comfortable about hooking up in there … just do your best to keep the noise level to a minimum to spare your parents' ears. Honestly, you’ll probably only be home a couple days, and if those days are sexless, then yeah, it’ll suck, but you’ll live. However, if you absolutely cannot control your libido, just use your best judgment about where and when to get your jollies.

Tanner Ingle is a junior studying studio art and environmental and plant biology. How would you handle hooking up at your parents' house? Email him at ti905612@ohio.edu.

AP: Going home for the holidays with a hook-up can always be interesting. Their parents (or yours) are going to be there, and more than likely you two will be staying in different rooms, which can definitely make hooking up hard. Speaking of hard, a whole weekend is a long time to go without sex with your beau, but there are different ways to go about it. No worries! You can get laid inconspicuously.

I know that when I have been in that situation, my boyfriend and I couldn’t keep our hands off each other, so it was every bit more important to find alone time with each other. We snuck down to the basement and were as silent as possible late at night when the parents were long asleep. Honestly, having to be quiet makes it that much more intriguing and hot. Parents typically fall asleep early and also typically sleep really hard. The odds of them waking up from heavy breathing and whispers two stories beneath them are extremely slim and nearly impossible.

Yeah, it sucks having to sleep in separate rooms, but I can promise you two can still get your jollies one way or another. It also helps during the day when the parents are at work and you two have the house to yourselves. If none of those options end up being available, remember, car sex ain’t all that bad either! 

Abbey Peyton is a senior studying broadcast journalism. What advice would you give about hooking up over the holidays? Email her at ap384611@ohio.edu.