Images taken from surveillance footage of a possible suspect from a robbery that occurred early Oct. 25, 2015, on West Union Street. The victim of the robbery awoke outside of the Smiling Skull Saloon covered in blood and missing a number of personal belongings. 

December 2015 crimes of the month, a man breaks into apartment, wakes residents

Multiple Athens area law-enforcement agencies report a rise in people breaking into vehicles in the news release.

A man reportedly broke into a Nelsonville apartment Nov. 18, waking the sleeping residents, and left with stolen prescription drugs in one of several December crimes of the month released by Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous. 

According to the news release, the “thinly-built male” forcibly entered the apartment at about 3 a.m., and left after the residents began screaming.

In the news release, the Ohio University Police Department requested information regarding a series of six seemingly-related crimes beginning Nov. 19. In each incident, a catalytic converter, a part of a car's exhaust system, was removed from a car parked in one of three South Green Drive parking lots.

Besides the thefts of catalytic converters, according to the news release there has also been an increase in reports of people entering vehicles in Athens County and stealing items including coins, purses and electronic equipment. Residents are advised in the news release not to leave valuables in their vehicles or to secure vehicles if left unattended. Multiple law enforcement agencies are seeking information regarding the break-ins.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="0168556e-8d6d-11e5-88b2-ebf2bdaf0901"}}

In addition to new crimes, the release included incidents from the November crimes of the month release that have yet to be solved. The first was an October theft that occurred in Nelsonville when someone broke into a locked box trailer at a build site for the Tri-County Adult Career Center and stole all the power tools. The other was a robbery that involved a man who woke up in front of the Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W Union St., Oct. 25 covered in blood with his belongings stolen, according to a previous Post report.

Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous includes a picture of a possible suspect for the Oct. 25 robbery on their website.

The Athens Police Department, Nelsonville Police Department and OUPD are seeking more information pertaining to all the crimes listed in the release. Any information can be reported to Crime Solvers Anonymous at 740-594-3331.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu