Kenyetta Whitfield

Popular Progression: The holidays aren't always the best time to discuss issues with family

Columnist Kenyetta Whitfield discusses why holidays might not be the most ideal time to discuss political and social issues with family members.

It's the holiday season. Thanksgiving has just passed, and even though Bobcats and university students all over the country are preparing for finals, the smell of Christmas and New Years are lingering in the air. Yet, even with the joy of the holidays some cannot help but be weary of the inevitable family dinner table talk. Many got their taste of the fun table talk during Thanksgiving weekend, but for most it doesn't end there. It may start simply with your Uncle Jeff commenting on your Facebook posts about Planned Parenthood or Bernie Sanders, and it could end with you defending every young person or left-leaning person in America.

Before Thanksgiving, I saw plenty of articles and tweets about how to deal with bigoted family members, as well as family members who just don't seem to "get it." The idea of being the one differing voice at the family dinner party can be daunting or exciting, depending on the person, and it is extremely important that young people voice their opinions to family members. One conversation could help stop the perpetuation of transphobia, homophobia, microagression and more, even if it is just on a small level. It is also a great example of how one can take their status as an ally or advocate and use it in their own personal lives.

However, people must remember that it is OK to be scared to defend your beliefs to your family. Everyone has a different family structure and dynamic. Though some may be able to have spirited debates with their elders, others may face shame, ridicule and even abuse if they question their elders' beliefs. It is important that people with privilege who call themselves allies of LGBTQIA persons or other movements, such as Black Lives Matter, push their family members and friends to understand different viewpoints. Yet, it is also important to maintain mental health and safety.

Though I'd love for everyone to help educate and eradicate ignorance and bigotry, I understand that it is impossible for everyone to do so. Feeling like you are part of the problem or that you are perpetuating negative behavior is natural and will probably occur, but it is human nature to stay silent when nobody is on your side. It is also normal to feel angry about the fact that you must defend an entire group of people when you just want to enjoy a simple family dinner.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d197eebe-916b-11e5-8758-3b280162178f"}}

If your family warrants discussion then there should be open, informed discussion because contrary to popular belief, old dogs can learn new tricks. However, before judgement is passed, people must remember that financially, young people are usually fairly reliant on their parents and other family members. Culturally, students may also feel unable to defend their beliefs. Unlike friends, family cannot be as easily dropped by the wayside.

Kenyetta Whitfield is a sophomore studying journalism. What topics do you talk about with family during holidays? Tweet Kenyetta @Ken_Whitty or email her at kw162913@ohio.edu.