Locally-rescued puppy Tumbles is placed into a two-wheeled cart created by the Ohio University Innovation Center's 3D printing laboratory.

Tumbles, the two-legged puppy, rolls into new life with Ohio University's 3D-printed wheelchair

As showcased in a recent Facebook video, Tumbles, a puppy who was born without front legs, is being fitted for a wheelchair at the OU Innovation Center.

Thanks to the Ohio University Innovation Center, a locally rescued puppy was given a second chance at life — even if it is only on two paws.

In a recent video posted to Facebook that has garnered more than 9,300 views within less than 24 hours, Tumbles, a 6-week-old terrier mix, does exactly what his name entails as he is strapped into a two-wheeled cart created at the Innovation Center’s 3D printing laboratory.

Rescued at only two weeks old by Friends of the Shelter Dogs, Tumbles was born in the early fall without either of his front legs. Friends of the Shelter Dogs is a local non-profit organization “dedicated to the rescue and welfare of dogs at the Athens County Dog Shelter,” according to its website.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="80ca415a-8a48-11e5-a524-731660bbebcf"}}

According to a Facebook post from the Innovation Center, Tumbles’ siblings and mother were being kept outside in the autumn chill until it was decided that the disabled Tumbles was in need of saving.

"We just didn't feel he would survive the cold temperatures and not be pushed away from feeding by his litter mates," the post reads. "We wanted to save the whole family but could only get this little guy."

Athens resident Karen Pilcher, who is currently housing Tumbles in her home, said the puppy was seen by a veterinarian early in the week who said Tumbles now weighs “a perfectly healthy” 1 1/2 pounds, Pilcher said.

Athens resident Crystal Richmond, who recorded the video, said the 3D printing process itself took 14 hours to complete. Next week, Tumbles will return to the Innovation Center to be fitted for an upgraded model of his new wheelchair. As of now, the puppy is not available for adoption.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu