Jack Neal Floral was torn down about a year after a fire devastated Union Street and destroyed several businesses and apartment buildings. 

Union Street Fire: One Year Later

It has been a year since the fire on W Union St. and businesses are adapting to the change. Owners of the properties are expecting the renovations to be done by Fall 2016.

One Year Later

Since watching her Union Street apartment burn for a hour last November, Alison Stewart’s priorities have shifted.

“It’s made me grateful for everything that I have,” Stewart said. “I was kind of materialistic, and I think it taught me not to be as materialistic.”

Businesses Adapting

Kismet, the boutique that once stood at 16 W. Union St., was what brought Meredith Allen to Athens she said, but it was Honey that kept her here.

“I hate to say it but if the fire had not happened, Honey wouldn’t — I wouldn’t be here,” she said. “It definitely sparked it for me to do it because I didn’t have anything to do.”

Hip Hop was Homeless

Jacob “61ack4eart” Midkiff and Peter “MC Freeman” Vilardi were endlessly promoting the next Hip-Hop Shop that would be held Nov. 20, 2014 at The Union Bar & Grille, 18 W. Union St.

“Hip-Hop Shop was scheduled for that Thursday and we were promoting extensively because we were suppose to headline,” Vilardi, a senior studying music production, said. “Then that Sunday before (the show) it ended up burning down.”

Waiting on Permits

When students return from summer break for the 2016 fall term, it might be the first time in a year and a half they will have the option of living above West Union Street.

Owners of the properties, which burned down or suffered damage last year, said they expect the renovations to be finished by then, but they might have to work up until the last minute.