Emma Ockerman

What the 'Post' editor-in-chief read last week (hint: she likes horses, especially horse cops)

It's Sunday, so Post editor-in-chief Emma Ockerman is reminding you what you might've missed in your reading last week. 

Today would've been the Sunday to end all Sundays if it weren't for the blessed time change. All hail the time change. I woke up at a crisp 8:30 a.m., chipper and ready to eat breakfast. I'm already feeling very accomplished today. 

Athens is also looking pretty fine, considering what the campus populace put it through last night. The late night rain (and the city's clean-up crew) left the city shinier than usual, and I'm feeling ready to take on this week. It's a good day. 

Regardless, get your blankets ready and the coffee made. It's time to start reading.

Here are four things I read last week: 

1. Call it a cop-out, but right now I'm reading The Post's recap of the Athens Halloween Block Party. In case you were wondering, things were pretty usual in terms of rowdiness, but the Athens and Ohio University Police departments made fewer arrests than last year. 

2. Horses are majestic creatures (I wrote about mounted police patrol horses last year for The Post, further proving that fact.) I was both heartened and heartbroken by The Post's story this week about Bella Run Equine — a non-profit organization that saves and rehabilitates horses that would have otherwise been sold for slaughter. After the horses are restored to their previous health, they're adopted by pet owners for a lower-than-usual sticker price. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="cd52aa6a-7b4f-11e5-95d0-fb035df19e04"}}

3. A Post reporter this week found that if a trans-identifying individual were to be committed to the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, the individual would immediately be placed in solitary confinement for safety reasons. A warden at the jail said treatment of those individuals would otherwise remain the same when compared to other inmates. Still, delfin bautista, who uses they/them pronouns and the lowercase spelling of their name, said, “The emotional wellbeing of the person being in solitary confinement has been shown to be worse."

4. The University of Michigan Police Department has noticed an uptick in alcohol-related crimes, and U-M administrators are working to combat the "drinking culture" on campus because of it, The Detroit Free Press writes. Some of those efforts have included introducing more alcohol-free events and creating a smartphone app that allows students to track their blood alcohol level. 

Emma Ockerman is a junior studying journalism and editor-in-chief of The Post. Want to talk to her? Email her at eo300813@ohio.edu or tweet her @eockerman.