Ohio's Kenny Kaminski attempts to make a layup against Indiana Tech on Nov. 7, 2015, at The Convo. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Ohio downs Ohio Dominican behind Kenny Kaminski's 31 points

The win marked Ohio coach Saul Phillips’ 150th career coaching win.

Ohio sharpshooter Kenny Kaminski has dealt with a variety of changes in 2015.

They have included: a new offense to learn after transferring from Michigan State; an aggravating right shoulder injury dating back to his high school days; and a bum right ankle that made him occasionally limp throughout Ohio’s matchup with Ohio Dominican Tuesday night.

Regardless of adversity, it was Kaminski’s 31 points and eight 3-pointers that held Ohio’s offense together during the Bobcats' (6-3) 93-69 whooping against the Panthers in The Convo. The win marked Ohio coach Saul Phillips’ 150th career coaching win.

“I’ve never scored 31 in a college game,” Kaminski said. “This is the best I’ve felt in a long time.”

Ohio guard Jaaron Simmons added 10 points and 10 assists to Kaminski’s shooting performance, as forward Antonio Campbell recorded 18 points and 11 rebounds. Freshman guard Jordan Dartis scored 15 in his second start of the season.

But it was Kaminski’s masterful work around the arc that pushed Ohio past Ohio Dominican, a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference opponent. At one point, Kaminski even pulled up from about 35-feet away from the basket, his shot just rattling in-and-out of the rim.

“He’s one of those guys where the ball leaves his hands, you think it’s going in,” Phillips said. “If I took a 3-pointer, the bench wouldn’t rise when I play, but it’s automatic when he catches and shoots.”

Kaminski and the Bobcats shot 11-21 from three. Kaminski scored a career-high against the Panthers after scoring just two points against Cleveland State on Saturday.

Simmons said he knew early on Kaminski was in for a big scoring night. 

“I saw the first one go in, as well, and I knew it was going to be a good night,” Simmons said. “So if I see him hit one (shot) and then I see him hit two, I’m just going to keep going back to him. I’m not going to go away from what’s working.”

Despite the offensive outpouring, Phillips said Ohio’s close outs and lack of deflections were a “step backward” compared to its outing against Cleveland State on Saturday. Ohio only trailed for 1:02, but a lack of defensive rotation allowed the Panthers to get open looks from the 3-point line.

The Bobcats held the Panthers to 41 percent shooting and out-rebounded Ohio Dominican, 38-24.

“Let’s not get ahead of who we are here,” Phillips said. “We’re not world-beaters defensively. We’re going to get better at it.”

It didn't matter, though, with Ohio's offense holding the lead for 38 minutes and only turning the ball over six times against Ohio Dominican. 

Kaminski and the Bobcats will have a quick turnaround playing Jackson State on Thursday night in The Convo, but until then, they will relish starting a four-game home stand with a win.

“It’s awesome,” Kaminski said. “Travel can be difficult, you get tired real easy on those long bus rides, and with us being home, it gives us time to work and properly take care of our bodies and take us one game at a time.”

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu