Sports law expert to lead Ohio University's Master of Sports Administration program

Robert Boland will transition into director of the Masters of Sports Administration program in January.

The Ohio University Bobcat family will gain a new addition this January with a new director of its Master of Sports Administration program.

Robert Boland, former director of New York University's Preston Robert Tisch Center for Hospitality, Tourism and Sports Management, came to the university in August, and this January will become director of the Master of Sports Administration program, according to a news release from OU.

Outgoing Director Jim Kahler will become associate director of the program and "will focus his efforts more fully as executive director of the department’s growing Center for Sports Administration,” according to the news release.

OU's Master of Sports Administration program aims to prepare students for leadership positions in the sports industry, according to its website. In May, the program was named the best in the world for the third time in the last four years, according to a previous Post report.

Originally from New York and a graduate of Columbia University, Boland also received a law degree from Samford University. Boland said he practiced law and was a sports agent in New York City for a few years before getting offered a job by NYU to teach a sports law class.

“Taking the job at NYU was the best decision I’ve ever made in my life,” Boland said.  

Boland said he then went on to run both an undergraduate and graduate sports administration program at NYU for 15 years.

“Coming to Ohio University gives me the chance to step into a leadership role," Boland said. "It’s such an honor to be able to work with one of the most historic and respected programs in the world."

Boland added that he is the first sports law expert to be added to the MSA program at Ohio University.

“I’m excited to have someone with Bob’s background and reputation in the industry as our new MSA program director," Kahler said of Boland and his new role as director in an email. "Bob’s expertise in sports law will help make our program even more prominent. His industry connections will compliment the strongest network in sports."

Transitioning into his new position as director of OU's Center for Sports Administration, Kahler said he has several priorities, the first being to find a naming partner for the center.

Kahler said during his time here at OU he helped launch the new Professional Master of Sports Administration (PMSA) Program, handled recruiting and has raised money to support graduate student scholarships and fellowship. Kahler also mentioned that OU recently named him the No. 1 Faculty Newsmaker.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="11f145f8-9a06-11e5-b0e4-1312823ecb70"}}

Kelley Johnson, a first-year student in the MSA program, approves in the change of leadership.

“I think the change in directors will strengthen our MSA program as we will now have two directors," Johnson said. "With their leadership, I believe this is going to give us a competitive advantage in maintaining our rank as the number one program in the world,”

Boland said he was excited to come to OU this academic year because he wanted a change in his life.

“Everything Ohio is, is everything I aspired to be at my last job,” Boland said.

@paigey5000

pc518214@ohio.edu