Franczak

The ABCs of Greek Life: Greek life built on service and community despite negative stereotypes

Columnist Erin Franczak discusses some of the positives of being in a fraternity or sorority. 

Greek life is a vital aspect of Ohio University. According to Kristen Kardas, the director of Sorority and Fraternity Life, there are 33 social fraternities and sororities on campus. Within those fraternities and sororities, there are four distinct branches: the Women’s PanHellenic Association, the Interfraternity Council, the National PanHellenic Council and the Multi-Cultural Greek Council.

Those organizations are founded on the principles of love and support for their brothers and sisters. They also spend time fundraising and doing good deeds for the community.

“I consider fraternities and sororities to be value-based, life-time membership organizations. All organizations were founded on the principles of scholarship, leadership and service,” Kardas said in an email.

Each sorority and fraternity has a specific philanthropy that it is focused on. Will Lammers, president of Pi Kappa Phi, said his favorite fundraiser is Pie a Pi that benefits the Ability Experience. It takes place by the courthouse every year and costs a dollar to pie one of the Pi Kaps. Kardas, who was involved in Greek life during her time in college, was a part of Delta Delta Delta. Their philanthropy benefits St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital. Kelly Tusing is a new member of Gamma Phi Beta. Their charity focuses on the empowerment of girls and their philanthropy is known as Girls on the Run.

Besides charity, all fraternities and sororities focus on leadership. Each has an executive board. There are also national conventions and leadership conferences. Tusing is the parliamentarian of her sorority and Lammers is the president of his fraternity. He has been president since his freshman year, and he loves his role as a leader and loves to keep his fraternity organized.   

Fraternity and sorority life puts brotherhood and sisterhood as a top priority. Each member is given a big, who is a mentor and becomes a close friend. This bond is one of Tusing’s favorite things about joining Greek life. Lammers said that he and his little are very close and hang out often. They have “family dinners” together and have a strong relationship. Lammers also enjoys the election process and initiation, especially since this will be his last term in that role.

Although those organizations are involved in campus life and the community, there are many negative perceptions associated with frats and sororities. There are stereotypes that the men and women of this organization must overcome. Some of which include: sorority girls are dumb, fraternity brothers and sorority sisters pay for their friends, and many other harsh words that are untrue. Lammers said the stereotype he feels is most untrue is fraternity men are all rich because many men in his fraternity and many others pay their way without parents' help or inheritance, like the common myth goes. Tusing said not all girls like to party. She works as an RA and works hard to balance her job and school, even if it means staying in on a Friday night and hanging out with residents. 

I hope in writing this column this week and next semester I can express that those stereotypes are untrue and shed light on the positives of those men and women. 

Erin Franczak is a freshman studying journalism. Are you involved with Greek life? Email her at ef441614@ohio.edu.