APD cruisers are parked at the department's headquarters. (FILE)

Athens County Crime Solvers offer reward for information on connected assault cases

Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous’ February Crimes of the Month list included two connected assaults and a case of burglary.

After the Athens Police Department put out numerous news releases earlier in the month concerning two connected violent assault cases, the crimes have made their way to the Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous’ February Crimes of the Month list.

The separate cases occurred in 2006 and 2015, nearly nine years apart, but were linked by DNA evidence by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation.

In 2006, a female was walking home from Uptown when she realized she was being followed by a white male, according to the news release. The male suspect entered the woman’s home and allegedly raped her before fleeing the scene.

The 2015 incident was similar. On June 15, another female was making her way home from Uptown when she was approached by a male in a parking lot at the rear of 19 E. Carpenter St. The suspect allegedly attempted to sexually assault the woman but was scared away by others in the area, according to the news release.

The news release described the suspect as a white male in his mid 20s to early 30s, standing at 5-foot-8 to 5-foot-9 and weighing about 160 pounds.

The only other incident outlined in the news release was a burglary that occurred Jan. 24 at about 7 p.m.

Residents of 120 University Estates Blvd. found a broken window at their residence when they returned home.

The news release does not tell what was stolen, if anything.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="0d03f20a-bf8d-11e5-b777-635ca54e7fa0"}}

Two suspects were sighted in the area earlier that day. The males were approaching homes and asking if residents wanted help clearing sidewalks and driveways of snow.

@emilybohatch

eb346012@ohio.edu