Athens photographer's work to be on display at ARTS/ West through Feb. 2

Athens resident Trisha Lachman's photography exhibit will be on display at ARTS/ West, 132 W. State St., through Feb. 2.

For three years, photographer and Athens resident Trisha Lachman was working on a project.

Now, it is on display at ARTS/ West, 132 W. State St.

Her exhibit, titled “Reflections: Seeing Beyond Seeing,” said her inspiration came from a desire to slow down the pace of her life and examine moments closer.

“I was inspired to choose actual reflections in my photography as a way of encouraging myself and others to look more closely and deeply at what is going on,” Lachman said. “Surely, we all experience the pace of modern life as pushing us along faster and faster, making quick decisions and superficial evaluations. I want to be more slow to speak, to act or to believe, so that I can consider the goodness of values and deeds.”

Her photography is not just locally based. Photos on display were taken across the nation, including California, West Virginia, Colorado and Pennsylvania.  

Each of the photographs has a connection to the area through the titles, captions and poems that accompany them.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="13062f7c-ba2b-11e5-abeb-132f4720c074"}}

“I recruited friends and family to create a title or caption or poem for one image in the collection, giving the show more interactivity and breadth of impression,” Lachman said

Wendy McVicker both titled and wrote a poem for the picture used for promotion of the exhibit.

“Trisha Lachman has been a great friend for many years, and we have collaborated in art adventures before,” McVicker said. “As it happened, I remembered when she took this picture, and I knew who the figure was, someone I happen to love and respect and with whom I have enjoyed other creative collaborations. Through this history, I was inspired to be playful in my response.”

On Jan. 7, there was an opening reception for the exhibit, in which Lachman was surprised by the turnout.

“The reception was well attended by 50-plus people, adults and a good number of children who chose their favorite photo and told me before they left,” she said. “It was just the right size for greeting and speaking to each attender a bit about the collection."

Kelly Lawrence, gallery coordinator at ARTS/ West said she is excited about the exhibit, which will be on display through Feb. 2.

“Trisha has taken some wonderful photos and has contacted many people in the community to help with titling her photos,” Lawrence said. “It really gives you a snapshot of our community and the wonderful people who share it.”

@Schuyler_Morris

sm592914@ohio.edu