An Ohio University Police car parked outside of Scott Quadrangle. 

Decade-old rape case reported to Ohio University Police Department

The Ohio University Police Department received three reports of sex-crimes last week.

During Ohio University students’ first weekend back on campus for Spring Semester, the OU Police Department fielded three reports of sex-related crimes.

One call came 13 years after the reported incident occurred, according to an OUPD report.

On Jan. 15, OUPD received a call from an OU alumna reporting an alleged rape that occurred when the former student lived on the fourth floor of Bryan Hall in 2003. The victim reported to officers that she knew the suspect.

The statute of limitations for rape in Ohio is 20 years, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

The case is currently under investigation.

This maps displays a majority of sexual crimes reported on or near Ohio University's campus between 2010 and now, but not all. Some reports of sexual crimes do not include locations and others are redirected from a reporting facility such as O'Bleness Memorial Hospital or OU Counseling and Psychological Services. Those reports could not be displayed on a map, but are listed in the accompanying table.

OUPD also reported to OhioHealth O’Bleness Memorial Hospital to pick up a Sexual Assault Evidence Collection Kit on Saturday. The victim wished to remain anonymous and did not file a report. No other information was available on the report.

OUPD received a report of voyeurism Saturday afternoon. A 33-year-old male reported that he was allegedly being photographed in the fourth floor men’s bathroom in OU's Baker Center.

The case is under investigation.

Those are the first sex-related crimes reported in 2016. During the Fall Semester, OUPD and the Athens Police Department fielded a total of 17 reports of sex-related crimes, five of which were alleged rapes.

@emilybohatch

eb346012@ohio.edu