Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Students ring in the new year, new semester with reports of intoxication, confused identity

This weekend, an intoxicated student yelled obscenities at an OUPD officer, and another had to be transported to the hospital.

While many Ohio University students were celebrating the new year with family, one spent it passed out in an alley way.

On Jan. 1 at about 2 a.m., the student was arrested for disorderly conduct after an Ohio University Police Department officer found him passed out.

According to the OUPD report, the male student had a “very strong” odor of alcohol and was “very lethargic” in his movements.

The student also struggled to provide the police with identification. He handed the police two credit cards instead of his driver's license — twice, according to the police report.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="95fdecae-992d-11e5-875b-0b5c6cfb0a77"}}

“(The student) handed me two Visa credit cards when I asked him for his identification,” the report read. “When I asked (the student) again for his driver’s license he handed me the same two credit cards again.”

This isn’t the first time students have had trouble handing over their driver’s license, but most students in the past have shown police their fake IDs, not their credit cards. One notable incident involved a student who handed an OUPD officer three drivers licenses, two of them fake.

According to the OUPD log, that incident was the only alcohol-related incident the department dealt with New Year's Day. The next incident didn’t happen until the early hours of Sunday, after students began to move in for Spring Semester.

At about 12 a.m., Sunday, two OUPD officers located an intoxicated student in the bathroom of her residence hall, according to the police report. The report indicates the student was in and out of consciousness. Athens County Emergency Medical Services transported her to OhioHealth O’Bleness Memorial Hospital, and the police cited her for disorderly conduct by intoxication.

At about 2 a.m. the same morning, OUPD responded to a call about a student who had fallen outside Lasher Hall, according to a police report. The student was “on the side of the building laying on the ground,” and the report indicates she could not stand on her own.

“(The student) would not advise me where she was coming from or where she lived, and when asked these questions would yell obscenities at me,” the report read.

The student was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct by intoxication, according to the report.

Meanwhile, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office continued normal daily operations, and handled several non-emergency calls and false alarms.

At about 4:30 p.m., Sunday, a female called the sheriff’s office to report being harassed on Facebook, according to the sheriff’s report. The female had blocked a male after he sent her messages she did not like, and she believed he had now messaged her from a fake account.

“None of the messages were threatening in any way, and so there was no violation of the law,” according to the report. “I suggested to the female that she block him from her page or heighten her security settings, so that he could not find her from fake accounts in the future.”

On Monday at about 5 p.m., sheriff deputies responded to a report of a missing adult male, according to the sheriff’s report. While deputies were talking to the person who reported the man missing, the man called and “advised that he was OK and that he had overslept.”

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu