Luke Furman (Old)

Amplified Observations: Why we should change the national anthem

Columnist Luke Furman details how “This Land Is Your Land" is a much more fitting, patriotic and listenable candidate for America’s national anthem.

In light of recent events such as a presidential campaign rally video and the upcoming 50th Super Bowl, I think it’s as appropriate of a time as ever to voice my support for changing our national anthem.

And, really, the only candidate capable of replacing Francis Scott Key’s poem-turned-one-hit-wonder is American folk hero Woody Guthrie’s “This Land Is Your Land.”

There are several reasons why this might be an ultimately good decision.

Atmospherically, this move would shift the visual setting during one of the most shared moments of patriotism from describing an obscure 19th century war scene to portraying the natural beauty and wealth of a land shared by all within its borders.

Although Key’s “The Star-Spangled Banner” has served its purpose well since its adoption in 1931, it’s not exactly the most cheerful, catchiest or easiest to sing tune in our national supply of options. It encompasses a challenging 12 interval range in a given scale with lyrics that were originally penned as a four stanza poem. And for some people, it unfortunately ends up being too much.

On the other hand, Guthrie, a 20th century songwriter with a respect for traditional folk music and a radio sensibility, wrote a song that glorifies the inherent beauty America holds and the inclusiveness we all should feel from belonging to it. He sings of the vast landscape of its forests, coasts, skies and cities, radiating a sense of wonder and optimism.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="5281b3e0-c3b5-11e5-a013-6b44ed8e00e0"}}

Previously covered by everyone from Bob Dylan to Pete Seeger to Peter, Paul and Mary, presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders recently joined the list as he performed the 1945 song Sunday night with the Ivy League-educated indie rock outfit Vampire Weekend. So, apparently he and the people singing along appreciate how meaningful and powerful a traditionally structured folk song can become in the context of our heritage and fundamental ideals, like all men being created equal.

We have already heard gifted singers perfect “The Star-Spangled Banner,” usually in the context of major sporting events like the upcoming Super Bowl. But instead of merely reciting words that recall a resilient bloodshed, we should be celebrating the bountiful land we now have because of that sacrifice to a foot-stomping beat.

“This Land Is Your Land” not only illustrates the constitutional values of freedom, patriotism and human compassion better — or at all — than “The Star-Spangled Banner,” but it humanizes an emotion of collective thankfulness and domestic unity.

And that’s something I think every American can sing along to.

Luke Furman is a sophomore studying journalism and a reporter for The Post. Do you think "This Land Is Your Land" would be a more fitting national anthem? Tweet him @LukeFurmanOU or email him at lf491413@ohio.edu.