Melanie Umbaugh

An American In Argentina: Learning to make time to take time: A different pace of life in Buenos Aires

Columnist Melanie Umbaugh talks about how time moves a little differently in Buenos Aires.

Time moves differently in Buenos Aires, and I’m learning to adjust. The pace is more relaxed and more leisure-like. This is good for my frequent state of total stress, but bad for my perpetual lateness.

People here know how to enjoy their lives: They can move from one minute to the next with ease and they can take their time with it. I’m in the habit of rushing from one thing to the next in a haze of tardiness and confusion. Despite Buenos Aires being a city of three million people, when my other U.S friends and I hurry to leave a restaurant, people take notice. Such a go-go-go attitude stands out.

When it comes to my dual issues of stress and lateness, one exacerbates the other and the cycle continues, but I think embracing the "porteño" approach to daily life can help me. The people I pass on the street are rarely running about in a hurry to get somewhere. I haven’t seen any restaurants patrons demanding the check be delivered immediately. Nothing needs to be accomplished in the next second. Days are long and there’s so much to do, but there’s no rush to do everything.

I’ve never felt like there was enough time in the day to do all the things I need to get done, but I’m starting to learn that maybe there is. You can be purposeful and get things done without running around like a chicken with your head cut off — and it’s much more enjoyable, too. Even little things like taking a quiet walk through my neighborhood or slowly sipping a cup of coffee at a café are ways to keep me centered.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="96b5bf9c-ce8d-11e5-b815-bbfde68efe7f"}}

Days can be so casual and pleasant here. Stroll to meet friends at a café after school, take your time drinking espresso and chatting — there’s no rush to leave or move on to the next thing. In Buenos Aires, there is always a next thing and plenty of time to get there. As a life philosophy, the Argentine approach to time is a good one. Sure, people might be late to meet for dinner but they won’t hurry to leave either.

I’m learning to take it slow — to enjoy each moment before moving on to the next one. My routine still needs adjustments, my morning language class isn’t making the process as simple as it could be for a decided non-morning person like myself but, one step at a time, I’m learning. My time here is precious and I don’t want to waste it. Everything will happen at its time.

Melanie Umbaugh is a sophomore studying theater. Have you noticed a different pace of life in another country? Email her at mu495313@ohio.edu.