Anna Ayers

Closer Than They Appear: With only weeks before Ohio's primary, it's time to decide where you stand

Candidate hunting can lead to some pretty grim outlooks, but perhaps you can find the diamond in the ruff that represents you best. 

The primary race has finally broken out, as in we are actually at a point in time when the candidates, and what comes out of their mouths, actually matters. The votes have been cast and counted in several states and in just a few weeks the campaign trail will find its way to Ohio. It is pertinent for voters to be truthfully informed about each candidate. These facts, however, seem harder and harder to discern every day.

So, I made the brave pilgrimage to the websites of several of the leaders for both parities to become more informed and ultimately reaffirmed that being apolitical may be the only way to swallow the joke that United States politics has become. 

Donald Trump is the man with a lot of money, big plans, bad hair and a complete disregard for whomever he steps on. His motto “make America great again” carries with it many intentions. Trump plans to bring back prosperity in America through fair trade and job outsourcing restrictions, particularly in regard to China. In order to achieve these goals (and any others) Trump would use any amount of economic or military force. His immigration plan: Make Mexico pay for the wall. Stance on Veteran Affairs: We need to do better, but has the similar “hopeful” plan as everyone else.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is the heartthrob of hardcore conservatives, especially those too wise and sophisticated for Trump’s antics. However, he is unfortunately hated by many of the rest of politicians in his party. His presidential stance you ask? Protect his version of the Constitution no matter what. So, basically if you are gay or lesbian you may not marry, if you were not born in America (read as: if you do not look like you were born in America too) you need to go and if you pose a threat to this great nation you may be legally shot. That’s some constitution.           

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio is a second-generation Cuban-American who hopes to gain the Republican establishments support and is trying, like the rest, to gobble up all of the anti-Trump votes. From what could be gathered, which admittedly was not much because of the frustration caused by his frankly lame campaign website, Rubio wants to make everybody happy, thinks the Democrats ruined the world and doesn’t have even half-assed plans to accomplish anything. Sorry, Marco.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is the self-professed socialist of the pack. The far-left loves him (mostly), anti-Clinton democrats cannot get enough of the “bern," and despite being nearly three time the age of most voting capable “millennials,” he seems to have connected with many of them as well. If elected Sanders proclaims to lessen the income gap in America by taxing the rich and raising the minimum wage. He would also like to make tuition free at public colleges and expand social security. If he can get enough backing for these reforms from either side of the isle, let alone both sides, I will give up eating the “made in Vermont” delicacy that is Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream (drastic I know!). I foresee Chunky Monkey remaining a definite fixture of my future.

Former one-of-everything except president Hillary Clinton has the support of many establishment Democrats. Though her choice of China pattern during her husband’s term in office was unique, it seems that many women would not trust her to pick out their socks in the morning, let alone run their country. Clinton’s campaign website, arguably because she is the most experienced at campaigning in general, discusses by far the greatest number and diversity of issues. With focus on social movements like justice system reform and ending the epidemic of sexual assaults on college campuses, Clinton’s most prominent campaign goal appears to be convincing people that she, in fact, has a beating heart and is not a political robot.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="052d6636-c86d-11e5-86b3-fbb12795494e"}}

It is more imperative than ever for voters to make informed decisions when it comes to voting. Now just because when the vote comes to Ohio, I wouldn’t put my name down for any of them doesn’t mean that there isn’t someone in the race who represents you. Don’t let grandstanding and bias media decide for you, get the answers yourself. 

Anna Ayers is a freshman studying journalism and finance. Are you registered to vote? Email her at aa183414@ohio.edu.