Sarah Mikac

Ed. Talks: Students for Education Reform find fault with existing truancy, zero tolerance policies

Students For Education Reform is led by a group of college students who are interested in the defects of America’s current educational system. 

Beginning in elementary school, we are exposed to advanced placement opportunities. In middle school, our teachers and parents start introducing us to the importance of grade point averages. When we reach high school GPA becomes more important and we study endlessly, hoping our SAT and ACT scores will be high enough for a “good” college. Finally, our teachers become professors and our biggest concerns are “Am I going to get a job after college?” and “Does this milk smell sour to you?”

We are all members of a world in which education determines how successful an individual’s future will be. We are also members of a nation that provides adequate education to many. Some are lucky that they happen to live in a district with exceptional schools, when others are not so fortunate, being placed in schools with poor structure. Our education system is based largely on location. A person must attend the school in his district, no matter its status or quality. Since it determines so much about our future, why isn’t a fair education something offered to all students regardless of zip-code, race or class?

Students For Education Reform is an organization run by college students who are passionate about education equality and justice. We believe every individual, regardless of their socioeconomic status, race, or zip code, should have access to a high-quality education. Our goals are to properly prepare students for vigorous college-level courses, gather motivated and passionate teachers, close the achievement gap between students of color and their white peers, create a safe learning space where students will not feel threatened and expand the number of outstanding schools that students from all backgrounds can attend. 

Ohio University’s chapter is spreading awareness and gaining the support of our fellow students, professors, voters and government officials throughout the  university’s community and the entire state. We are currently fighting to rewrite truancy and zero tolerance policies in kindergarten through 12th grade schools.

Truancy policies were put into effect so students with poor attendance records could be punished through detention, suspension, expulsion and even jail. Students for Education Reform has found an obvious weakness in this policy. By suspending or expelling students for their inability to attend school, administrators are keeping these students out of the classroom for an even longer period of time, depriving them of the education they should be receiving. We believe truancy policies must be revised in order to ensure every student’s ability to gain an appropriate education.

Students for Education Reform also believes that zero tolerance policies must be improved. Zero tolerance policies were created following the 9/11 terrorist attacks with the hope of building a more safe learning environment. Since they've been executed, these policies have been used out of context by many legislators and school administrators. Their original goal was to remove students who were displaying unsafe and inappropriate behavior from school settings. These policies have been abused to discipline students for minuscule, non-violent offenses that offered no harm or risk, such as positioning one's fingers in the shape of a gun and wearing a hat or hood in class. Students for Education Reform's goal is to redefine what an appropriate use of this policy is and to construct a policy that will not ultimately hurt a student’s ability to learn.

With your help, we can work towards a better education system that caters to students’ needs, develops them into successful contributors to society, and establishes a safe learning environment, free of any prejudice, for all. If you are interested in joining our fight for equity and justice, we meet every Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in Baker Center 237.

Sarah Mikac is a sophomore studying English. Have you heard about SFER? Email her at sm120113@ohio.edu.