Sophie Kruse

Gamer Girl: Fitbits can be very useful, easily incorporated into your daily routine

Columnist Sophie Kruse discusses how she uses her Fitbit Flex throughout the day.

This past Christmas, I received a gift that is now one of my daily staples: a Fitbit.

I had been debating for a long time whether I wanted one of those little fitness trackers and eventually decided that it was a definite necessity.

I realized I used my iPhone’s health app frequently to check my step count and distance for the day, but I wanted to get something a little more accurate.

I opted for the Fitbit Flex because it’s the simplest of all the trackers and also provides all the essential information: step count, distance, calories burned, active minutes and sleep. Most of that information is accessible through the Fitbit app I have downloaded on my phone and synced to my tracker. However, I’m able to quickly double tap on the tracker and see the approximate step count displayed with dots on it. There are five dots, and each dot represents 2,000 steps. For example, if you’re at 3,000 steps, the first dot will be fully illuminated and the second dot will appear blinking.

When you reach your daily step goal (10,000 steps a day is what's suggested), your Fitbit will vibrate and blink. It’s like it’s celebrating for you!

You’re also able to set silent alarms on your Fitbit. The device will vibrate on your wrist, which is convenient for small reminders or even as a gentle alarm clock. I haven’t used that feature very much, but I’ve heard of many others who swear by it.

You charge the device by plugging it into your computer’s USB port with a small plug. It takes only a few hours to charge and lasts nearly a week.

Something I wasn’t expecting was how many additional features you can use through the Fitbit app. You’re able to input exercise that isn’t step-based — like weight lifting — and it will factor that into your calories and active minutes. It’s easy to track your water intake on the app as well, which has helped me drink more throughout the day. 

It’s fun to be able to see how active you are each day and compare to other days. The interface of the app makes it really easy to track your progress. I find that I don’t walk as much during the day as I would like, but with the Fitbit I’m able to tailor my time at Ping to get a few more steps in and reach my goal.

Sophie Kruse is a senior studying journalism. What are your thoughts on the Fitbit? Email her at sk139011@ohio.edu or tweet her @kruseco.