Siblings John Mlynarski, right, and Andrew Mlynarski, left, both came to Ohio to hone their shared craft of golf.

Men's Golf: Ohio squares up for future success at MAC Match Play

Peyton White went 3-0 in match play for the Bobcats. 

Ohio fell 3-2 to Dayton on Tuesday and finished sixth at the Mid-American Conference Match Play Tournament.

Junior Peyton White finished the tournament 3-0 for the Bobcats with his biggest win coming Tuesday when he defeated Dayton golfer Tripp French 6 to 5.

“He obviously played pretty well,” coach Bob Cooley said. “He beat the No. 1 kids from Miami, Xavier and Dayton. He’s playing pretty well.”

Before the start of the tournament, Cooley said that MAC Match Play would be a good indication of where Ohio stands following winter break.

The performance was similar to the expectations Cooley had approaching the first tournament of 2016.

Tying with Xavier and losing by one to both Dayton and Miami is promising for Ohio. Miami won the MAC Championship last spring.

The Bobcats sit midtable in the conference standings, but with improvements in their next five tournaments, they can move up in the rankings.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a9009378-cebc-11e5-8249-cbbdc47f3116"}}

“We got off to a slow start the first day and battled back,” Cooley said. “Today, we were all even with them going into the last hole. If the last kid for Dayton misses the putt, we win the match. We were a little rusty, but it was good to be able to get out there.”

Senior Mike Engelman had his best performance of the year, going 2-1 at the tournament.

Engelman, captain of the team, typically finished in last place during fall season. He finished in second at the tournament. 

Ty Herriott and Grant Engel both struggled in comparison to their fall performances, but that may be the result of not being used to match play and trying to acclimate to 54 holes in two days.

With strong performances from Engleman and the addition of Tom Nettles, Ohio is in a comfortable spot. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu