An Ohio University Police car parked outside of Scott Quadrangle. 

OU student charged with sexual imposition

Editor’s Note: The story has been updated to reflect the latest information in John Hyland’s case.

Correction appended.

An OU student was charged with sexual imposition after he allegedly grabbed another student’s breasts and tried to kiss her, according to a news release the Ohio University Police Department sent out Thursday.

Michael Conti, a 19-year-old from University Heights in Cuyahoga County, was charged with one count of sexual imposition.

According to the crime alert emailed to students Tuesday, a female student reported to OUPD that a male had attempted to kiss her and grabbed her breast as she walked down Morton Hill on Feb. 18 at about 12:30 a.m.

Sexual imposition is a misdemeanor of the third degree, carrying a maximum penalty of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine, according to the release.

Conti’s court appearance is scheduled for March 7 at 9:30 a.m. at the Athens County Municipal Court, according to the release.

A total of 24 sex crimes have been reported to local law enforcement since the beginning of the academic year, according to a previous Post report. OUPD has emailed two crime alerts to OU students this year, according to the OUPD website, and both cases remain active. Of 22 crime alerts, dating back to 2012, listed on the website, 11 cases are inactive, four are active and seven are closed.

Conti is the third suspect charged with a sex crime allegedly occurring on OU’s campus this year, according to previous Post reports.

On Oct. 4, John Hyland, a 20-year-old who was visiting OU at the time of the incident, was arrested in his hometown outside Cleveland and charged with rape. The rape allegation was found to be false, and the case against Hyland fell apart shortly after his arrest. All charges were dismissed by the Athens County Prosecutor for good cause shown on Nov. 2, 2015.

The charges in his case were dismissed Nov. 3 due to “criminal procedure,” according to a previous Post report.

On Sept. 9, OUPD arrested Reginald Williams II, a former OU basketball player, in Baker Center Ballroom for alleged gross sexual imposition. Williams was released after his charges were dropped Sept. 14, according to a previous Post report.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of the headline and the story misstated the agency that charged Michael Conti. The headline and story have been updated.