An Ohio University Police car parked outside of Scott Quadrangle. 

Police send crime alert describing suspect for sex crime

People with information regarding the incident should contact Ohio University Police Department or Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous.

In the 22nd sex crime fielded by local police this academic year, a 17-year-old girl reported a gross sexual imposition to the Ohio University Police Department on Wednesday.

According to a crime alert OUPD released Thursday, a girl reported she had been walking south on Oxbow Trail under Richland Avenue on Sunday at about 6 a.m. when an unknown man approached her.

The man allegedly began making "harassing comments" to the girl, and grabbed her thigh, according to the alert. The girl fought off the alleged attacker and left uninjured.

The report was the first crime alert that OUPD has sent out to OU students since Jan. 16 of last year, when the department reported a case of sexual imposition. Crime alerts are posted on a case-by-case basis, OUPD Lt. Tim Ryan said. 

OUPD is investigating the incident and describes the suspect as a college-aged male with brown eyes wearing a toboggan hat and a hooded sweatshirt at the time of the crime, according to the alert.

The alert states that students should avoid walking alone when possible, remain aware of their surroundings and report suspicious people to the police.

The incident is the fifth sex crime reported to OUPD since the beginning of Spring Semester. It is also the eighth gross sexual imposition reported to the Athens Police Department or OUPD since the beginning of the academic year, according to previous Post reports.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="56b3e3e8-d5a3-11e5-bf2f-03b799b38472"}}

Anyone with information regarding the incident can call OUPD at 740-593-1911, according to the alert. Callers who wish to remain anonymous can contact Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous at 740-594-3331.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu