Amanda Anne Platt of The Honeycutters will perform a special solo backstage show at Stuart's Opera House on Friday.

Stuart’s Opera House invites audience for intimate show with Amanda Anne Platt

Folk songwriter Amanda Anne Platt will be playing a backstage performance at Stuart’s Opera House on Friday.

Amanda Anne Platt and her fans will share the same stage Friday night.

The folk singer-songwriter of North Carolina-based band The Honeycutters is giving a special backstage performance at Stuart’s Opera House, in which the audience will be sitting on the stage with Platt while she plays.

“It’s a really neat setting and cool for the audience to sit in a situation that they’re normally not in,” Brian Koscho, the marketing director at Stuart’s Opera House, said. “The audience gets to see the rigging and light systems as you’re watching the performance, which is different.”

The show is general admission, and tickets are $10 in advance or $12 at the door.

The intimate setting has the audience backstage, on foldout chairs, while the performer is set up on a smaller stage deck in front of them. Although it is a smaller setting, Koscho said it still feels full and is really fun.

“I enjoy playing my songs for people,” Platt said. “The show I put on is just me playing my songs and telling stories.”

Platt’s band The Honeycutters, of which she is the main songwriter and vocalist, has attended the Nelsonville Music Festival and previously performed at Stuart’s Opera House.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="bf6c660a-b96d-11e5-a247-7f8b935c1b87"}}

The Honeycutters is releasing a new album in May, and Platt will play new music from the album at the show.

“The backstage performance is perfect for Amanda, and she has an unbelievable voice,” Koscho said.

Platt has been playing professionally for 10 years now and writes country and folk music.

Koscho said Stuart’s opened up more space on the stage for more seating and doesn’t have many tickets left. The backstage performance will hold about 120 people.

Backstage performances have been offered by Stuart’s Opera House for many years but are only held a few times a year.

“I’m excited because this will be my first solo show in Nelsonville,” Platt said. “I’m looking forward to it.”

Stuart’s Opera House has a bar for attendees who are of age, and merchandise will be available for purchase at the venue.

“If someone hasn’t been to the opera house, there’s no better time than now,” Koscho said. “If you want to get out of Athens for the night, this performance is interesting and something different.”

@lynanneclaire

lv586814@ohio.edu