Melanie Umbaugh

An American In Argentina: Balancing schoolwork, tourist activities is a struggle of studying abroad

Columnist Melanie Umbaugh writes about making the most of her time in Buenos Aires.

I finally feel more or less adjusted to life in Buenos Aires. I’m not an expert, but I know my way around my neighborhood and my university. The city feels familiar enough now that I don’t feel like a total stranger strolling through the streets. A couple people at restaurants and cafes remember me; I’m almost a regular. I’m fitting in in Buenos Aires.

At the same time, I feel like I’m not doing enough. I don’t want to fall into a routine and forget to keep visiting new sites and trying new things. I’ve been here for a month, and I’ve loved it, but it has also passed by so quickly. Every day I don’t do something new feels almost like time wasted. I think in working to adapt to everyday life, I’ve forgotten to be a tourist, too.

Of course, I’m still a student while I’m here. I still have homework, and (although it seems like most Porteños don’t), I also still need to sleep sometimes. My time is not an endless stretch of opportunity and discovery. And some days, it’s exhausting adjusting to a new culture or navigating a tricky situation in an unfamiliar language, so I don’t take the time for that museum visit or tourist site. I have to remind myself that those times aren’t totally wasted. This column is a reflection on my own concerns about missing out, but also a pseudo-permission slip to take that extra time for myself when I need it.

The regular semester is about to start here in Argentina, and I’m looking forward to having a normal university schedule again. I also plan to make more of an effort to keep exploring and keep experiencing. I’m lucky to have four more months here, and that’s not nothing. The first phase of my time here is complete, and I’m going to make sure that the next phase is just as exciting.

So far in Buenos Aires, I’ve toured historic neighborhoods and a grand theater-turned-bookstore. I saw a Frida Kahlo painting in person for the very first time and was enchanted. I’ve spoken in Spanish more than ever before in my life, and I’ve even picked up the Buenos Aires dialect.

This is the farthest from home I’ve ever been, and it’s still exciting, but it’s also starting to feel like another home — just like Athens became my second home freshman year of college. I hope Buenos Aires can feel that way, too.

I have so much more to do, and I’m going to see so much more of this country — but it’s also nice to remember that I don’t have to do absolutely everything in order to have a great experience here. Living here and being here is already so much, four more months can only add to my love for this city and this time.

Melanie Umbaugh is a sophomore studying theater who is studying in Buenos Aires this semester. Have any recommendations for places Melanie can explore? Email her at mu495313@ohio.edu.