City council members fielded concerns from uptown business owners during its meeting Sept 8. At the latest meeting, council members discussed the future of a city pool. 

Athens City Council likely to settle the city's pool debate with a vote at Monday's meeting

Athens City Council will meet Monday to vote on the amended city pool ordinance, which would budget $500,000 for a new pool.

After months of discussion, Athens City Council will vote Monday on whether to provide half a million dollars toward the replacement of the city's pool.

Council members previously were conflicted over whether to repair the existing pool on East State Street, or to replace it completely. They ultimately found it more cost effective to build a new one rather than to continually spend money on repairs.

An amended ordinance will be up for a vote after the wording was changed from “outdoor municipal swimming pool” to “swimming pool options." Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, proposed the amendment to allow for the possibility of an indoor pool.

If passed, the ordinance would provide $500,000 toward the building of the new pool.

Several street closures also will be discussed at the meeting.

Council will vote on whether to close a portion of Court Street on June 3 and Aug. 12 for a cruise-in, where residents are encouraged to bring their antique cars to show off to the public. A portion of East Union Street also may be closed Sept. 23 for a cruise-in.

Council also will decide whether to close the portion of Court Street between Union and Washington streets for the Bounty on the Bricks Fundraiser on Aug. 13 from noon to midnight.

The proposed closure of a portion of Mill Street will be discussed for first reading. The closure would occur May 14 between North McKinley Avenue and South Green Drive for the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Human Powered Vehicle Challenge.

The proposed disposal and replacement of two aging sewer trucks and a rapid waterline replacement also will be up for a first reading.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d1c18d3a-ea55-11e5-abc7-afbbdd02a7ca"}}

There will be a one-reading resolution in support of the Athens County 911 grant application through Ohio’s Local Government Safety Capital Grant Program. The resolution aims to improve Athens' emergency response services.

Council also will have a motion to accept the auditor’s February 2016 financial reports.

@alyseitbe

ap490814@ohio.edu