City Council President Chris Knisely presides over the meeting in the Council Chambers in the city building Nov. 23. (FILE)

Athens City Council will talk street closings for summer events

Athens City Council will be discussing street closures for summer events, such as Boogie on the Bricks and Ohio Brew Week. 

Athens City Council will be discussing two street closures at Monday night’s meeting.

The transportation committee, headed by Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, will be introducing the two street closures, including one for Boogie on the Bricks.

The event, happening July 16, will feature art and food vendors, as well as music.

Judy Wymer, event coordinator for Boogie on the Bricks, came forward at the March 14 meeting to request that council close part of West Union Street to Court Street to West State Street at 6 a.m. the day of the event, an hour earlier than last year.

Wymer said the time change is needed so that workers will be able to get the event up and going, as it has been difficult in the past.

Council also will be discussing street closures for the 11th annual Ohio Brew Week, happening from July 15 to 23.

The event, a celebration of Ohio craft beer, will be held Uptown this summer, though Athens Mayor Steve Patterson has concerns about its overlapping with Boogie on the Bricks.

City council will also be discussing the Clemans-Nelson non-union compensation plan and recycling bin appropriations under the Finance and Personnel Committee, headed by Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward.

@alyseitbe

ap490184@ohio.edu