Anna Ayers

Closer Than They Appear: Presidential campaign has become a detriment to Americans’ scope of important news

Columnist Anna Ayers argues that the current presidential race is harming the intake of important news and the future of America.

The 2016 presidential campaign has reached the point of complete destruction. In previous weeks and months, the squabbling caused a variation of damage from minor amusement to actual brain cell loss. However, amid recent violent protests and 24/7 news coverage, this race has permanently blinded our country to the mass of important global events.

In the last week alone, Iran, which is held under tight nuclear and arms restrictions by the European Union and the United Nations, launched missile tests on its own soil. Libya, a country that has been crippled by civil war for years, recently announced the near success of establishing a unified government.

It is not just world news that Americans are missing at the hands of political absurdity. In recent months, oil prices have dropped dramatically, falling below $28 a barrel for the first time in more than a decade. This cheapened commodity was most likely a welcomed, and noticed, change by many. Unfortunately, this odd fluctuation may be over and gas prices could begin to rise again, but don’t think twice about it because people are brawling over Trump — much more entertaining, much less impactful on your budget. 

Not only is news about other countries and swings in large factors of economy being ignored, but reports on potentially life-changing innovations and the return of a man who spent more time in space than anyone has before were headlines buried deep. They were tickers that went by for a day and then disappeared.

Every day members of younger generations are asked what they aspire to be when they get older. Some say astronauts, professional athletes, princesses, or race car drivers. Some even say the president. As they grow and experience the triumphs and tribulations of life, it is their “plans” that come into question. Some plan to be lawyers, doctors or businessmen. Some plan to teach, discover or take care of others. No child aspires to be a negative force upon this world. No budding adult plans to make a mockery out of the profession they so passionately pursue.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d4836bd0-e3fa-11e5-a61e-ab25d57f9541"}}

Allowing our political system, and those who claim to be acting for the American people, to become a perspective distorting, laughing stock is not only shameful, but it is un-American. This is a country with a prideful foundation and an establishment built on dreams; it would be a terrible fault of current generations to allow the dreams and aspirations of future ones to be tainted by a political monstrosity we have the power to stop. 

Anna Ayers is a freshman studying journalism and finance. Do you think the upcoming presidential election is dominating the news? Email her at aa183414@ohio.edu.