Empty beer cans lay in the mud in the front yard of a house during fest season, 2016.

Congress Street remains quiet after uncertain plans for 'Congress Fest'

Plans for the fest, which residents were invited to through a now-deleted Facebook page, did not come to fruition.

Aside from the occasional porch gathering or the dull noise of speakers playing from within otherwise calm houses, Congress Street remained relatively quiet Friday evening.

An event inviting people to participate in Congress Fest was at one point posted on Facebook, but the page has since been deleted. Maggie Hiner said she was invited through that event, but assumed it had been canceled when she saw the page no longer existed.

"I was really pumped to go," Hiner, a junior studying psychology, said. 

Adam McBee said he had heard some of his friends who live on Congress talk about wanting to participate, but was never aware of a definite plan.

"I never knew it was today," McBee, a freshman studying criminology, said.

Whitney Barnett, an Athens resident, said she lives on Congress Street and she had never heard of any plan for Congress Fest.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7c5a9728-ee39-11e5-aa71-07e27796cb52"}}

"None of my roommates know about it either," Barnett said.

There was no visible police presence staffing Congress Street. In a previous Post report, Athens Police Department Chief Tom Pyle said the department won’t be staffing for any fest on Congress.

Law enforcement were present, however, at High Fest, the second all-day fest of the year, which was Saturday.

@taymaple

tm255312@ohio.edu