Sarah Mikac

Ed. Talks: It’s 2016 and social inequality in schools is still a reality

Columnist Sarah Mikac discusses the issue of social inequality in America’s school systems.

In the last edition of “Ed. Talks" I shared the importance of House Bill 410 and how schools should begin to look for new, alternative methods of punishment for chronically truant students.

This week I am focusing on the fact that social inequalities are extremely real in school settings today. Many children across the United States grow up with disadvantages they can’t control. Social inequality is when those disadvantages are used against them, more particularly against students' opportunities to access an equal education.

Students who belong to minority races, are a part of the LGBTQ community and come from low-income households are viewed differently than others in school. Over 50 years ago the U.S. Supreme Court deemed segregated schools unconstitutional with Brown v. Board of Education. Since this ruling, not much seems to have changed. So many uncontrollable aspects of students lives largely affect their success and opportunities, and this is one of the largest flaw in the American educational system that has not been resolved.

Education systems in areas with high poverty typically provide a less vigorous learning experience than those in more affluent areas. This leaves students with an unfair advantage or disadvantage based solely on the district their family lives in. Some children are fortunate enough to have a financially and emotionally supportive family, while others hardly see their parents, as they work night and day to pay the electricity bill every month.

However, those two different family structures can be seen within the same school, creating an improper leverage. The student with a fortunate family will likely have an easier time participating in their school work, but the same cannot be said of a student born into an impoverished family. Of course, this is a difficult problem to solve and assess, but remain hopeful because there’s room for improvement.

Students For Education Reform is working to eliminate social inequalities throughout the nation. The organization strives to provide equity and equality in education. Every student has different needs in their education, and we work to make sure every student receives a high quality education, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic status or zip code.

SFER is holding two events within the next two weeks, hoping to gain support and spread awareness of the injustices in America’s school system.

On March 10 from 7-9 p.m. in the Baker Student Lounge, Ohio University assistant professor of cultural and media studies, filmmaker, DJ, social critic and hip-hop scholar Akil Houston; former Teach For America teacher and founding chapter leader of Ohio University SFER, Spencer Smith; and researcher of school criminalization and its effects on young black males, Benjamin Grice, will lead a panel. They will discuss their experiences with racial injustice and their involvement in revising these injustices as well as answer any questions the audience may have.

The following week on March 16 at 7:30 p.m. in Walter Hall room 135, SFER will be hosting a viewing of a documentary called All The Difference about two African-American men who conquered their zip code and racial expectancies to attend universities and later join an AmeriCorps organization called City Year. Rod Swain, Midwest Recruiter for City Year, will join us afterward for questions and discussion.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="ac891b04-ceb3-11e5-acd6-ff56673c8666"}}

Come to these events and learn more on the reality of social injustices in America’s school system.

Sarah Mikac is a sophomore studying English. Have any questions about these events? Email her at sm120113@ohio.edu.