Haadiza Ogwude

Fresh, Fit and Full of Life: New Jeff Market to offer diverse, international food options

The new Jeff Market will promote diversity and healthy eating on campus.

For the past year, I have heard rumors about Jefferson Market being renovated. I also heard that Jefferson Hall would be adding an international foods section to its market. I initially shrugged it off and thought, “Yeah right, there is never going to be an international market at a university in Southeast Ohio.” However, not only are those rumors true, but Jeff Market is scheduled to begin construction in May, and it will be competed by January of 2017.

I couldn’t have been more excited when I heard this news. Although I will be living off-campus next year and will not get to venture into Jeff Market as frequently as I would like, I am still thrilled to hear that not only will we have a new market at Ohio University that will attract prospective students to campus, but it will also be a healthy, environmentally-conscious market that will cater to more specific diets on campus.

Ohio University has one of the most diverse and active international student populations in the country, and it is only fitting that the university has campus resources that reflect that diversity. It is about time that our campus markets have international food options for the students who may want them. Many international students on this campus often have to travel to Columbus or farther to find foods and spices from their countries, and that’s absolutely ridiculous. There should be options here for them that are convenient and affordable.

Diverse food options are also important for domestic students. Many domestic students enjoy foods from other countries, and even prefer it. There should be options for them as well. Also, having foods from other countries available at our markets gives students who never would've otherwise heard of these foods an opportunity to try them.

Having diverse eating options promotes unity on this campus, and it fosters discussion. It also creates visibility and representation for international students. The more Ohio University listens to and accommodates the minority students on this campus, the more those students will speak on issues that they feel are important to them. Although the introduction of diverse eating options is a small step, it helps to force domestic students to recognize their international classmates and their needs and interests.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="18a66a56-ec5c-11e5-a8bb-db68badbdb7b"}}

Not only will the new market include international options, but it will also have healthier and fresher options. Jeff Market will include a New York-style deli, café and tea room, fresh juice bar and a demonstration kitchen. Customers will be able to buy sliced meats and cheeses by the pound, as well as fresh produce and healthy snacks. Having these healthy options is not only good for the students who want them, but also for the students whose eating habits could change due to the accessibility of nutritious alternatives. 

Haadiza Ogwude is a sophomore studying journalism. Are you excited for the new Jeff Market? Tweet Haadiza @AdoreHaadiza or email her at ho299413@ohio.edu.