Emma Ockerman

From the Editor's Desk: Welcome, 'Post' alumni

This weekend, dozens of Post alumni will be rolling into town. 

Ohio University is hard to walk away from after graduation. 

For us, leaving The Post's newsroom for good is an entirely different scenario.

Of course, I can only imagine that feeling. I'm still gearing up for another year in the editor's seat — but I have dozens of Post alumni to keep me company, answer my phone calls or quell my worries.

That's just what Posties do for one another.

This weekend, Post alumni will be rolling into Athens for the newspaper's annual reunion. We'll talk a lot about the past, and plenty about the future. Saturday morning, I'll present to them The Post's plan to transition to a digital-first media outlet for the first time, and hopefully take questions from those alumni whom I've never before.

In the meantime, I hope they do what Posties do best: eat greasy food Uptown, play basketball at Ping (and we really do that best, I mean it), hit a few dive bars and tell a lot of bad jokes. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2b009fde-e6f6-11e5-b470-73388e42f009"}}

At least that's what we've been up to recently. On their end, the alumni pulled off a marvelous campaign to fund Post employees' salaries, have endlessly allowed us advice on our transition, have helped land us internships and have kept our chins up when we felt like leaving the newsroom.

This weekend, many of our freshmen will be meeting Post alumni for the first time. They may be scared, intimidated or even awed. I can only hope they see the alumni for what they are: equally driven, fantastic, passionate Posties.

Emma Ockerman is a junior studying journalism and editor-in-chief of The Post. Have a question for her? Tweet her at @eockerman or email her at eo300813@ohio.edu