Robert J. Johnson

Glouster man purposefully crashes car, stabs dog to death, receives four years in prison

A Glouster man was sentenced to four years in prison after purposefully crashing into a garage and stabbing a dog to death. 

A Glouster, Ohio, man stole and stabbed a dog in December and now faces four years of jail time, according to a news release from Keller J. Blackburn, Athens County prosecuting attorney. 

Robert J. Johnson, 18, purposefully crashed his vehicle into the victim's parked vehicle, causing it to crash into the garage the victim was living in, according to the release. He then stole another person's dog and stabbed it to death.

Johnson entered a change of plea to guilty to an indictment of two counts of felonious assault Wednesday, according to the release. The counts are considered a second-degree felony.

The release did not say what the original plea was. 

Johnson also was charged with one count of vandalism, a felony of the fifth degree, according to the release.

The release also states Johnson was charged with criminal damaging or endangering and cruelty to animals, both misdemeanors of the second degree.

That could be punishable with up to 90 days in jail, according to Ohio law.   

Judge George P. McCarthy sentenced Johnson to prison, and upon his release he will be required to complete a community based correction facility program, according to the release. He also will need to receive a drug and alcohol assessment and pay restitution to the victim.

Johnson will need to complete three years of mandatory post-release control, as well as five years of community control, according to the release.

The case was investigated by the Glouster Police Department, according to the release.

@Fair3Julia

JF311013@ohio.edu