Kenyetta Whitfield

Popular Progression: Donald Trump is on a quest to end the PC police

The Donald has one enemy, and that is the politically correct. 

It is no surprise or shock to me that the United States of America is rampant with racist people. Not just racist ideology and policy carried out by well-meaning people. No, the good ol’ US of A is running rampant with racist people. The most prominent of 2016 being GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump. The Donald.

It’s well-known by both parties at this point that Trump is, among other things, a big, stinking racist. Whether his supporters sugarcoat it or not, the idea that Trump represents what people in America are too afraid to say supports the notion that there are just way more racist Americans than a lot of people believed.

Donald Trump has been hailed as the man who says what we all want to say but are too scared to say. Do you hate Muslims? Well, he hates Muslims. Do you hate Mexicans and Mexican-Americans? Well, he hates them as well. Do you support the illegal torture of the families of terrorists? There you go, Trump is the man for you.

As much as I’ve tried to follow the real estate mogul’s campaign, there comes a point when ignorance is bliss.

What truly bothers me  and many Americans, I’m sure  is the idea that the Donald is somehow sticking it to so called PC culture. The politically correct culture: the culture of terrible millennials who cry over everything and think everything is sexist or racist or transphobic. The PC police is Donald Trump’s most hated enemy and yet, they don’t exist.

Implying that something is correct in the political sphere while something else is acceptable in the public sphere is the very reason it’s so easy to call Donald Trump racist. If political correctness says discrimination and racism are wrong, but the anti-PC Trump asserts that it is time to do away with political correctness, then guess what? He and his supporters have decided that doing and saying racist things should be OK.

Trump encourages every bigot to come out from the shadows and says to them, "It's OK to finally be racist." He says to them, "It's OK to finally say the things you’ve been saying in private while in public." Instead of using coded language Trump is lauded for bluntly saying an entire group of people are rapists and murders.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4f90cf1e-d8cc-11e5-a2a2-bb75b468046e"}}

Donald Trump, if elected, will represent the decision by millions of American people to truly admit to being a nation of racists. And though that won’t surprise many of us, it’s still pretty sad. 

Kenyetta Whitfield is a sophomore studying journalism. What do you think of Trump's campaign? Tweet Kenyetta @Ken_Whitty or email her at kw162913@ohio.edu.