Franczak

The ABCs of Greek Life: I’ve experienced firsthand the positive sides of Greek life

Columnist Erin Franczak writes about her good interactions with Greek life members.

Once upon a time, on a small-town campus lived a girl (that’s me) sworn to aid in the understanding of the Greek community and to bring about a change in the judgments of the Greek community.

She had heard about a small party, and her friends wanted to attend. She was uneasy with the party scene, but she wanted to make sure her best friend would be OK. She packed up the essentials, dressed in a cute outfit and shoes and applied a red lipstick. Then off she went.

She arrived with her best friend, and they were having a really great time when suddenly, her best friend disappeared. The best friend had seen a guy friend and had ditched her for him.

Luckily, she (me) had seen a familiar face who agreed to walk her home. It just so happens this lovely person, Nathan, was a gentleman of a fraternity on campus. A few weeks later, a similar situation happened with another fraternity man. The same girl was at a party and lost her friends. One man offered to sit with her and then, when she completely gave up on finding her friend, walked her home. He also agreed to help her friend if he saw the friend.

Moral of the story, not all fraternity men are rude and disrespectful to women. Some genuinely care and are willing to do whatever it takes to protect others. (Also, I need to find better friends.)

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="93aeb174-e638-11e5-bead-0ba8711236be"}}

In past articles, I have written about and interviewed gentlemen from fraternities around campus, and now I have real-life personal examples to prove that I’m not wrong. I truly believe there are wonderful people in sororities and fraternities, and I do not want the few bad eggs of the chapters to negatively affect how students, teachers and onlookers judge those on-campus organizations.

I love my sorority. I know that not everyone will love it like I do, but I would love for everyone to understand things from my perspective before judging.

On a final note, there are a lot of philanthropy events to participate in this week that will impact the community and help out a lot of great organizations. For more details, email me and check out my next article on what goes into Greek Week. 

Erin Franczak is a freshman studying journalism. Do you have a positive Greek life story? Email her at ef441614@ohio.edu.