Franczak

The ABCs of Greek Life: Sigma Pi volleyball tournament to raise money, awareness for ovarian cancer

The tournament will be on April 3 at 12:00 p.m. on the South Green sand volleyball courts.

So Moms Weekend is coming, and I’m guessing there may be a few people who are wondering what to do with their moms. Well, Sigma Pi has the event for you. They will be hosting a Queens of the Beach volleyball tournament Sunday beginning at noon on the South Green sand volleyball courts.

I am so excited to attend this wonderful event that focuses on a philanthropy that affects the entire brotherhood of Sigma Pi, especially President Joe Campbell.

His aunt was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and their family participated in a run with the team name Nae Nae’s Nightingales. When Campbell was a freshman, the Sigma Pi fraternity was being rechartered. Thank goodness because these guys are great, and Ohio University sorority and fraternity life wouldn’t be the same without them. They were looking for a philanthropy that would be important to all these men. All proceeds will go to the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition.

When Campbell became philanthropy chair (this position is dedicated to the service opportunity that the particular fraternity participates and runs each year), he put forth the effort to make the event an annual tradition within campus. I, for one, am extremely excited to be there and support this event and these truly inspiring men. They are no longer taking teams, but there are still many ways to contribute.

You can donate money and time. They are always looking for volunteers. Also, everyone involved gets a really cool T-shirt (and who doesn’t want a T-shirt). The more publicity this event receives, the better. Even if you missed the deadline for creating a team, you should definitely at least check out the event. The men of Sigma Pi want to spread awareness and get as many students, administrators and moms involved. Yes, there will be a moms' team.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="df1dee04-f132-11e5-a494-bb9d910b826e"}}

If it’s too short notice for any participation from you, the event will be held next year as well. I highly suggest if you aren’t participating this year to do so next year. It’s a great philanthropy, and people who aren't athletic can still participate. Plus, it's beach volleyball. It can’t get more fun than that.

Campbell says that he has two main goals for this event by the time he leaves Ohio University for the real world: He wants the event to be on the bulletin board for Moms Weekend (I think they can do it!), and he wants the event to be more than just the Greek community. He wants all students to be represented, and he wants it to be something all students take part in.

I will be at this event, and I hope you will too. For any other questions or comments on the event email Joe Campbell at jc377512@ohio.edu.

Erin Franczak is a freshman studying journalism. Are you attending this event? Email her at ef441614@ohio.edu.