Kaitlyn McGarvey

The Reel World: 'Labyrinth' is full of adventure, music and David Bowie in tight pants

Columnist Kaitlyn McGarvey writes about the film 'Labyrinth,' which the Athena Cinema is showing Saturday.

The Athena Cinema will be paying cult classic movie, Labyrinth, as a tribute to the late David Bowie Saturday.

Labyrinth was released in the summer of 1986 by The Jim Henson Company, behind shows like The Muppets and Fraggle Rock.

In the film, a teenage girl named Sarah accidentally wishes her baby brother away. She sets off to retrieve him from the malevolent hands of the Goblin King, Jareth. 

In all honesty, I do not think it is possible for me to give an unbiased review of this particular movie. Labyrinth is very near and dear to my heart. Just hearing the word “Labyrinth,” I’m instantly brought back to memories of eighth grade when I watched the movie for the first time in my friend’s basement at 1 a.m. while pumped up on gummy bears and Hi-C Fruit Punch.

I discovered this movie at the perfect age. Older audiences, on the other hand, might feel a little differently seeing the picture for the first time. However, though the movie is aimed at a younger audience, there are still plenty of things everyone can admire about Labyrinth.

First of all, Bowie wrote all of the songs for the soundtrack and sings lead vocals in nearly all of them. Second, the movie is very visually pleasing  one can always expect anything that comes out of The Jim Henson Company to be vibrant and lively looking. Third, the movie is dripping with influences from the 1980s, so if you’re a big fan of drum machines, unfortunate mullets and poet shirts, you will surely enjoy some of the more campy elements of Labyrinth.

Aside from that, the main character is worth noting. Though she sometimes is not the likeable character, Sarah is very relatable and admirable. Her quest throughout the movie is not merely to find her baby brother, but also to learn to let go of childish habits and start acting responsibly. And while, yes, most college-aged people are basically beyond Sarah’s struggle, it is still possible to admire her courage to traverse a labyrinth to save her brother.

It is also worth mentioning that Bowie does a fantastic job portraying Sarah’s antagonist, Jareth the Goblin King. He was made for this role. Bowie is able to capture Jareth’s coy yet bitter nature but still maintain a charming sense of style and flair all throughout.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="64c99c1a-b88a-11e5-a274-6b8b948ac7e1"}}

This movie is all about adventure, music and detailed visuals. The jokes and running gags also lend a big part to what drives the film. There is no shortage of fart jokes, I assure you.

Labyrinth, despite its age and campiness, still holds up as a movie and is worth going to see on the big screen at The Athena. Even years after my obsession with the movie has passed, I still find myself casually listening to the soundtrack every now and then.

It may not be the first movie on everyone’s must-see list, but it is for sure worth the watch for anyone who has an affinity for movies with fantasy elements or Bowie in tight, tight pants.

The Athena Cinema is playing Labyrinth at 7 p.m. March 12. Tickets cost $6.50 for all patrons except for Friends of the Athena. A full summary of the movie can be found on The Athena’s website, athenacinema.com.

Kaitlyn McGarvey is a freshman studying journalism. Have you seen Labyrinth? Email her at km451814@ohio.edu or tweet @McGarveyKaitlyn.