Beyond The Bricks: Hocking Hills Adventures offers adventure sports options near Athens

Columnist Leah Keiter encourages students to try Hocking Hills Adventures for river trips, gaming and more in the beautiful Hocking Hills. 

The Athens area has no shortage of areas to hike and picnic when warmer weather comes back around, but in terms of adventurous outdoor activities, the options can seem limited. During the second semester of my sophomore year, I studied abroad in New Zealand, which is basically the adventure sports capital of the world. When I came back from watching all my roommates bungee jump and flying down the river alongside them on white water rafting tours, I started to notice that the laid back vibe of Athens didn’t offer many options to continue those activities while I was a Bobcat.

Hocking Hills Adventures noticed the same thing and stepped in 40 years ago to offer river trips, camping spots alongside the bank of the Hocking, go-karts, mini golf and much more. This column is unique for me because this is the first place I’ve ever written about that doesn’t somehow tie into my childhood  this place is all for 20-year-old Leah.

Hocking Hills Adventures offers a wide range of river tours in canoes, kayaks, tubes and more that cover a 15-mile stretch of the Hocking River from Sugar Grove to the Canoe Livery. The trips range from an hour and a half to various overnight options, and include routes for beginners or families and those who are more comfortable in the water. Costs for the river trips range from the mid $40 to $100 range for canoes and mid $20 to $60 for kayaks.

If river adventures aren’t your thing, it also offers campsites throughout the Hocking Hills, with about 80 riverside spots. All of those riverside spots come with a fire ring and picnic table and are primitive. Other spots with electric hookups are available in one of the two other locations offered. Some of those have swimming access, and all are close to the Family Fun Center. For those not so interested in tent camping, Hocking Hills Adventures also has tons of cabin options that are also close to the Family Fun Center and in beautiful parts of the Hocking Hills, with the added benefit of peace and quiet.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a68be7c2-fc30-11e5-8fef-8bc97a9aa31b"}}

The Family Fun Center boasts a range of activities, including a go-kart track with $8 rides. Customers at the Fun Center can also find mini golf, an arcade, a driving range and a huge picnic area perfect for group events. In addition to the Fun Center and their regular river tours, Hocking Hills Adventures often does special events, including river cleanup days that accept volunteers, moon and torchlight river tours and a Halloween on the Hocking themed tour.

For anyone looking for some more adventurous outdoor options in the beauty of the Hocking Hills, look no further than the Hocking Hills Adventure canoes.

Leah Keiter is a junior studying journalism. Have you done anything through Hocking Hills Adventures? Email her at lk969912@ohio.edu.