City Council President Chris Knisely presides over the meeting in the Council Chambers in the city building Nov. 23. (FILE)

City Council to consider proposed bike path and street closings Monday

City council will discuss street closures for a number of events, along with the possible construction of a new bike path.

Members of Athens City Council will discuss the construction of a new bike path in Athens in addition to multiple street closures at Monday night’s meeting.

The proposed new bike path will span from Armitage Road to Columbus Road, according to the ordinance authorizing the path's construction.

In addition to the new bike path, a new “City of Athens” sign may be coming soon to State Route 682. Council members will discuss the possible installation of a new sign at Monday’s meeting.

Council members will discuss street closures for the King Midget High Street Challenge, an event that will give the opportunity for those with King Midget cars to showcase them around Athens. The event occurs every 10 years in Athens, according to a previous Post report.

The event, set to take place Aug. 13, will close portions of Union, High, and Washington streets. 

Council members will also discuss street closures of a portion of Court Street between Washington and Carpenter Street for Ohio Brew Week on July 23. The event will bring in local vendors and breweries and feature live music.

Street closures for The American Society of Mechanical Engineers Human Powered Vehicle Challenge on May 14 will also be discussed at the meeting. Closures for the event will include a portion of Mill Street between North McKinley Avenue and South Green Drive.

Want to have our daily newsletter waiting in your inbox when you wake up? Sign up for Post Haste here

Council will also continue discussion of the disposal and replacement of a new salt truck and two new sewer trucks for the city, as the previous vehicles are aged and in bad condition.

@alyseitbe

ap490814@ohio.edu